Vanguard Life Strategy 60/40 best platform please

Options
Hi all,
I would like to invest in VLS 60/40.
I am 50 years old and have £60,000 to invest.
Which platform is best to go through? The two that keep coming up are Vanguard direct or via iWeb. I am a complete novice so spend hours doing research but then never actually invest. I need urgent help at pulling the trigger please. Thanks.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Since you're only investing in that one fund then I think it makes sense to go to vanguard direct
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 3:57PM
    Options
    What made you select that fund?  (its not generally considered to be the best in class any more - hasn't been for some time)

If you go with a fund house that only offers their own funds, then you have to change the platform again in the future if you want a different fund house.  If you go with a whole of market platform, then you can change funds easily.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March at 3:58PM
    Options
    What is 'best' to you? Cheapest? Best customer service? Portfolio analysis and graphs? Regular investing? On site research?
    ISA, SIPP or GIA? How often will you trade?
    What will be best for one person will not be for another
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 737 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Although Iweb is offering free account opening until 30 June, but a £5 charge per trade. No platform fees
    If you were buying the fund in one trade, this would be cheaper overall.
    Vanguard has 0.15% platform fee
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The fund fee is the same on both platforms (of course).
    On iWeb you would pay £5 for the trade if you bought 60k at once. This is a negligible % and a one off cost.

If you buy on Vanguard you are signing up to a 0.15% annual platform fee (approx £90 per year, assuming the investment stays at 60k).
  • havingaball74
    havingaball74 Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    Since you're only investing in that one fund then I think it makes sense to go to vanguard direct
    Thank you for your reply. Some articles I have read, state that a flat fee broker such as iWeb is better with a larger amount such as mine. But, what does 'larger' mean? Some say a flat fee broker is better on amounts more than £12,000. Other articles, say you only need flat fee when it goes over £100,000.

On the Vanguard website it mentions an ongoing charge of 0.22% which is £132. Is this annually?
    It then mentions minimums:  What does this mean?

• ColdIron
    Options
    IWeb are great for infrequent trading in an ISA or GIA but their SIPP can be expensive. £180 pa, £360 in drawdown
  • havingaball74
    havingaball74 Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    IWeb are great for infrequent trading in an ISA or GIA but their SIPP can be expensive. £180 pa, £360 in drawdown
    Thank you!  As a complete beginner who only wants to invest in Vanguard, is iWeb easy to use/ have good customer service? I am trying to balance out cost with ease of use. 

• Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 737 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am 50 years old and have £60,000 to invest.
    Which platform is best to go through? The two that keep coming up are Vanguard direct or via iWeb. I am a complete novice so spend hours doing research but then never actually invest. I need urgent help at pulling the trigger please. Thanks.

If you are considering Iweb, you could also consider HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Fund.
    Similar to LS60, lower OCF at 0.17% compared to 0.22% for the LS60
    Just a thought

• ColdIron
    edited 27 March at 4:14PM
    Options
    On the Vanguard website it mentions an ongoing charge of 0.22% which is £132. Is this annually?
    It then mentions minimums:  What does this mean?
    That is the fund fee or ongoing charge. It's levied by the fund manager (Vanguard investments not the Vanguard platform) and deducted from the fund. It has nothing to do with the platform and will be the same wherever you go, e.g. IWeb
    The minimums are what the Vanguard platform will accept, they will differ between platforms, some as low as £25. Not a problem with £60,000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback