I have solar panels but don't fully understand how it works

Options
Lenzar
Lenzar Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
I have recently moved into a new build council house. As the house is brand new, solar panels were installed from the very start. I have figured out how to use the website and app and understand how to see how much the panels are generating, and how much charge is on the battery. On a day like today, the battery reaches full charge and so the excess energy being generated seems to be getting sent to the grid.

I signed up with British Gas when I moved in and was put onto what appears to be a standard tariff. There is no mention of me having solar panels, and it is clear from the estimated bills that BG aren't even taking that into account, since it is estimating usage of £85 despite my usage for March so far being stated as £28. 

Is there a better tariff I can use that takes my solar panels into account? 

Comments

• Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 3:44PM
    Options
    Its up to you to make best use of the generated power.
    How many kw/kwh are your panels and battery?
    BG don't know or care that you have solar panels.
  • Dannii75
    Dannii75 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure about British Gas as I'm with Octopus & have an export tariff which means I get a bit of money for the amount going back to the grid, that comes off my bill. Maybe they do something similar, it's worth asking them. Good luck.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     It's likely the council will be getting the benefit of the cash back from the excess. Is In my cousins case. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Octopus do seem to be a favourite of a lot of those with solar and/or batteries. If considering a move to them be sure to ask around family/friends to get a referral link from an existing customer as that gets you and your referrer £50 each bill credit. 

We are hoping to get solar installed shortly and are currently going through the process of looking at the various tariffs - Octopus have a specific tariff "Flux" which we are considering which is designed specifically for homes with solar and battery, so this could be worth you looking at. We're with them already and so far have been really pleased with their customer service as well - always a bonus with an energy company. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Lenzar
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     It's likely the council will be getting the benefit of the cash back from the excess. Is In my cousins case. 
    This is what I was wondering. Given it's a council house and they own the panels, I'm wondering if I'm even eligible. However the BG website talking about the 'SEG' scheme don't mention anywhere that it is homeowners only.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ahhh - yes, I have just spotted that the OP is in a council property. That probably puts a different perspective on things. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Are you home during the day to make the most of them? 
  • Lenzar
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     Are you home during the day to make the most of them? 
    I don't work due to disability. I am here all the time.
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd ask the council for details. They might be able to provide you with the MCS certificate and DNO approval which Octopus require to set you up for export payments. Other they (the council) could at least confirm whether they themselves retain any export payments. 
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 March at 10:31AM
    Options
    Lenzar said:
    I have recently moved into a new build council house. As the house is brand new, solar panels were installed from the very start. I have figured out how to use the website and app and understand how to see how much the panels are generating, and how much charge is on the battery. On a day like today, the battery reaches full charge and so the excess energy being generated seems to be getting sent to the grid.

I signed up with British Gas when I moved in and was put onto what appears to be a standard tariff. There is no mention of me having solar panels, and it is clear from the estimated bills that BG aren't even taking that into account, since it is estimating usage of £85 despite my usage for March so far being stated as £28. 

Is there a better tariff I can use that takes my solar panels into account? 
    BG will be guesstimating your usage, so give them regular readings, or give it a little while for them to get smart meter readings (make sure they're getting them and using them), and your direct debit should drop. 

Having solar and batteries, you'll just use less electricity from the grid. Instead of whatever the average user is (2400kwh maybe?), I use 900kwh a year (no battery).

As it's council, it's most likely that they will get any income from the excess solar being sold back to the grid. So as far as energy suppliers go, it's almost irrelevant that you have panels, although you may benefit from some different tariffs that Octopus have. (Other suppliers are available.) 

Then the only other advice is how best to use solar....I save laundry for sunnier days. Oven cooking is planned around free solar. 

If you have a few bigger appliances, use them one at a time, so you only use solar. For example, washer then dryer, then cooker, then dishwasher. 

Throw in water heating if applicable, or a few oil filled radiators, and anything else you can think of. 

People with batteries may be along with other suggestions, and might mention some of the different tariffs. 

Sorry if any of that was teaching you to suck eggs. But staggering the appliances was one tip I got at the outset, which I might not have worked out for quite a while.

Eta, I bought a house with solar already fitted, so hadn't done any background research around how to maximise its usage. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback