Upgrading Santander Fixed Rate Cash ISA

Options
Received a letter that I could upgrade my cash ISA 28 days before maturity on the 1st Apr. If I do this will the interest of the previous year still be paid on maturity since I will have upgraded to a new product by then. Ironically, the new Fixed Rate Cash ISA has the same interest 4.15% as the previous years Fixed Rate Cash ISA but they seem to want customers to jump through loops to avoid a drop in interest (to a default ISA Saver (Issue 2) account paying 1.2%.)

Comments

• gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have the same ISA maturing early April. I'm not keeping it with Santander as can get almost 1% more elsewhere.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Santander will need to try harder than a totally non competitive 4.15% to keep hold of my ISA after 1st May. Like others I'll be transferring elsewhere. I can only assume they dont need my money any longer !
  • JSmith321
    JSmith321 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the time taken to transfer to another provider. In the past it has taken over a month with the loss of one months interest making the transfer to a higher rate uneconomical. 
  • Stargunner
    Stargunner Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JSmith321 said:
    What is the time taken to transfer to another provider. In the past it has taken over a month with the loss of one months interest making the transfer to a higher rate uneconomical. 
    To speed things up you can request a transfer in advance of the maturity date. Just make sure that you request that the transfer is not completed until at least the maturity date.
  • rallycurve
    rallycurve Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    JSmith321 said:
    To speed things up you can request a transfer in advance of the maturity date. Just make sure that you request that the transfer is not completed until at least the maturity date.
    Do you know how long Santander will take to action this request and send the funds to the other provider after maturity?
  • Stargunner
    Stargunner Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    JSmith321 said:
    Do you know how long Santander will take to action this request and send the funds to the other provider after maturity?
    How long is a piece of string?
    your guess is as good as mine 😀

• subjecttocontract
    Options
    JSmith321 said:
    One factor will be wether the organisation accepting the transfer is part of the electronic ISA transfer system. If they are, there is a good chance that the transfer will be quite quick although officially they have, I think, 15 days......which probably isn't want you want to hear!
  • rallycurve
    rallycurve Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    JSmith321 said:

I requested a transfer in advance thinking this would be the fastest way to transfer out.
    Santander confirmed receipt of it on the 23rd March. My ISA matured yesterday 1st April. I'll report when they send the funds to my new provider. In the meantime money is earning an amazing 1.2% 😬 so I suspect they'll keep it for a while
  • JSmith321
    JSmith321 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JSmith321 said:

I requested a transfer in advance thinking this would be the fastest way to transfer out.
    Santander confirmed receipt of it on the 23rd March. My ISA matured yesterday 1st April. I'll report when they send the funds to my new provider. In the meantime money is earning an amazing 1.2% 😬 so I suspect they'll keep it for a while
    Same here, they seem to be "Gaming" the system to make it less attractive to switch by holding the money in Limbo
  • subjecttocontract
    Options
    Don't most providers do similar?  Every fixed rate ISA I've had has matured into a much lower rate easy access account. It's all part of the game.....they screw as much money out of you as they can, you show zero loyalty and leave as soon as there is something better. What were you expecting ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback