How to switch networks without being charged twice?

Options
DazzaMc
DazzaMc Posts: 811 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all, I've decided to switch from o2 (sim only, not in a lengthy contract or anything) to EE and have ordered a payg sim card but wanted to ask how to go about moving over without paying to 2 networks or for the least amount of time possible. My bills arrive on 16th of the month. I've requested a PAC code but do I also need to call o2? And when should I do it? Thanks

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 11:40AM
    Options
    Switch a couple of days before your package renews (payment date might be different so check this).

No need to call O2 about anything.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • DazzaMc
    DazzaMc Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't I have to give any notice to o2?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 March at 11:53AM
    Options
    DazzaMc said:

No, use of the PAC terminates the service you're porting from. Any period of service after that date that you've already paid for will be refunded (don't cancel direct debit), so you can port whenever convenient.

Evolution, not revolution
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Good idea to check the EE service is OK before you cancel the O2 service.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    DazzaMc said:
    Hi all, I've decided to switch from o2 (sim only, not in a lengthy contract or anything) to EE and have ordered a payg sim card but wanted to ask how to go about moving over without paying to 2 networks or for the least amount of time possible. My bills arrive on 16th of the month. I've requested a PAC code but do I also need to call o2? And when should I do it? Thanks
    Have you completed your minimum term with o2? With your pac you will receive info on any exit costs. If your service is to be redirected to another provider you do not need to give notice as long as you are outside your minimum term. You will have to pay for two services until your number is transferred unless you go on to payg initially and then add a package once your number has ported.
  • steven141
    steven141 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 1 April at 11:28AM
    Options
    Text PAC to 65075 to get your PAC code tokeep your number when you move and give this to your new provider, this will close your old account automatically. 

Text STAC to 75075 to get your STAC code if you don’t want to keep your number but close your old account and once you give this to your new provider your old service will stop within one working day. 
  • HaroldWhistler
    HaroldWhistler Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

DazzaMc said:
    I would recommend just using the PAC as per below:
    eDicky said:
    DazzaMc said:

No, use of the PAC terminates the service you're porting from. Any period of service after that date that you've already paid for will be refunded (don't cancel direct debit), so you can port whenever convenient.

In fact, definitely just use the PAC. It is much simpler and avoids someone at O2 Customer service from messing things up.

I once gave "30 days notice" for an O2 Mifi device I no longer needed and despite being told everything was done on a telephone call, I found next month they had continued to charge the full amount beyond the cancellation date AND for the next month. Upon calling them (which takes time on hold to even get through to a human), I was then told that the original customer service agent hadn't cancelled it, but this time they would cancel it and refund me the overcharge (which now amounted to nearly two months of service). That itself is irritating since they only "refund" in the next month's bill another 30+ days later, not immediately. I pointed that out and they offered a small amount of compensation as well. Come the next month, the refund for two months overcharge (which was a result of their own incompetence) had NOT been credited to me let alone the compensation. Which meant yet another phone call and this time waiting an hour with their ghastly music to get through to anyone. When I got through to someone, he then had to pass me to another department to process the refund. After 15 minutes on hold, the call just cut so I had to ring again. Even after getting though to someone, that phone call didn't resolve the overcharge. In the end it took me ringing and escalating to a Complaint not once, but TWICE, hours on the phone (on Hold and then finally talking to various people) just to Cancel and get the Refund (the first "Senior Manager" botched the refund for the third month as well). The second Senior Manager finally refunded me in the third month after my 30 days notice (so 4 months later).  

In that case I didn't need the number since it was a Mifi, but I believe you can also get something called a STAC code if you don't need to carry over a number as well. 

But yes, as someone else recommended, just get the PAC code and use that. That will automatically trigger the voiding of the contract on a specific day (which you set with your new provider), meaning they can only pro rata charge you (if you are outside of your contract) and if you've already been billed, then the computer system will automatically set the correct pro rata refund for the following bill. If you are still in contract, the PAC code route will still ensure you are only billed to the last day of your contract and not a day more. It avoids incompetence on the old provider's end messing anything up. If you have more than one phone with O2 on the same Account though, you cannot get a code by text, you have to call to get a PAC code from them. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback