Expedia booking issue

Options
Hello

I have been trying for the past 3 days to book a holiday on Expedia - at the very end I approve the transaction in my banking app, then finally get a message on expedia "Sorry we weren't able to proceed with your booking. Please try your search again."

I have tried different browsers on different computers, clearing cache, etc.  as I thought maybe it didn't like that I was going via topcashback.  I also called the bank and they said no issues their end.

I contacted expedia to get them to book it for me, and they couldn't even get to the payment stage, and said "maybe the prices are being updated or something, please keep trying".

Anyone else having issues booking with expedia?

Comments

• Studogg
    Studogg Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To add to the above - I have also tried booking different hotels and still getting the same issue
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Studogg said:
    Hello

I have been trying for the past 3 days to book a holiday on Expedia - at the very end I approve the transaction in my banking app, then finally get a message on expedia "Sorry we weren't able to proceed with your booking. Please try your search again."

I have tried different browsers on different computers, clearing cache, etc.  as I thought maybe it didn't like that I was going via topcashback.  I also called the bank and they said no issues their end.

I contacted expedia to get them to book it for me, and they couldn't even get to the payment stage, and said "maybe the prices are being updated or something, please keep trying".

Anyone else having issues booking with expedia?
    I wonder if this is the case. I had similar a few years back when purchasing a mattress online with Dreams and via TopCashBack.  The credit card security feature would not allow the transaction - I suspect in part to a timing out issue.

Can Expedia see an unpaid booking on their end. If so could you just ask to settle over the phone with your cc?

If no booking held then try again but wiping cookies and not going via TopCashBack.
  • Studogg
    Options
    Thanks Westin - yea I have tried to find the same deal on other travel operators, but no luck.  I guess I will try to make the booking over the phone as a last resort - It's annoying as almost 10% cashback on a £4k+ booking :neutral:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Studogg said:
    Thanks Westin - yea I have tried to find the same deal on other travel operators, but no luck.  I guess I will try to make the booking over the phone as a last resort - It's annoying as almost 10% cashback on a £4k+ booking :neutral:
    Maybe have one attempt with Quidco?
  • Studogg
    edited 28 March at 10:21AM
    Options
    Studogg said:
    Just to let you know I ended up booking the flight and accomodation separately using alternative sites.  Had no problems at all, and managed to save a bit over the expedia package price too, oh and got 1.5% CB on flights!  Cheers
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Studogg said:
    Studogg said:
    Just to let you know I ended up booking the flight and accomodation separately using alternative sites.  Had no problems at all, and managed to save a bit over the expedia package price too, oh and got 1.5% CB on flights!  Cheers
    Booking separately removes any protection you'd have had under the Package Travel Regulations, but if you purchase a suitably comprehensive travel insurance policy then that ought to mitigate that.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Glad you got it sorted, albeit not the way you initially wanted.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March at 6:02PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Studogg said:
    Studogg said:
    Booking separately removes any protection you'd have had under the Package Travel Regulations, but if you purchase a suitably comprehensive travel insurance policy then that ought to mitigate that.
    This is true, although it does mitigate in as much as you won't have to deal with Expedia customer services in the event there's any flight changes or cancellations!

Expedia aren't always keen to fulfill their obligations under the PTRs, or even be aware of them! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback