Getting a refund. Escalation

Options
I bought a printer cartridge from Brother on line store on 13 March 2024. However it became clear the issue wasn't the toner but the printer. So I needed to return the cartridge (£52) unopened, unused, in original packaging. According to the Brother website I was well within the time period and all I needed to do was provide a few bits of info and they would issue an RMA to return the item.
I contacted them by phone on 15 March (3 diff phone calls) and through their online 'chat' support line, the latter telling me the issue would be 'escalated' as a ticket and I would hear within 24hrs. I've heard nothing. I then used the chat again two days ago and again was told I would hear from them - nothing. I have since written to their UK address using a proof of delivery - but am not holding my breath.
It seems Brother are going to prevaricate over this, presumably in the hope I'll go away? If they continue to refuse to respond how do I escalate?

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How did you pay? If you used a card you may be able to request a Chargeback, if it was Paypal then they may have a process you can use in this situation.
  • frankiesowner
    frankiesowner Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How did you pay? If you used a card you may be able to request a Chargeback, if it was Paypal then they may have a process you can use in this situation.
    Thanks. I paid by credit card. I'll look at the 'chargeback' approach - but I think at the moment I'm stuck in the 'returning an item' phase.  It's not like Brother haven't sent me the cartridge.
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 12:22PM
    Options
    Rather than go straight down the chargeback (or s75) route, it's usually better to try to sort it out with the retailer first.

You "bought" the goods on 13 March, but when did you actually take delivery of them?

If this is an online purchase and the seller is based in the UK then The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (legislation.gov.uk) gives you the statutory right to cancel and return a distance contract for a full refund.  It doesn't matter what Brother's return policy says.

But in order to exercise that right you must clearly inform the seller - within 14 days of delivery - that you are cancelling the contract and you must return the goods within 14 days of telling the seller that you are cancelling.  So long as you do that, you are legally entitled to a full refund.  If you go through those steps with Brother you'll find it easier to do a chargeback from your bank if Brother won't play ball.

If you haven't already done so you have up to 14 days after the goods were delivered to you to inform Brother that you are cancelling the contrcat.  As today is the 27 March you need to act quickly.  If you have already cancelled the contract, remind Brother of their statutory obligations.

They should refund you without undue delay, but no later than 14 days after either (a) they've received the goods back, or (b) you've provided eveidence to them that you've sent the goods back

Only after all that go to your bank for a chargeback

If you don't want to exercise your statutory rights and prefer to rely on Brother's own reurns policy, it depends what the terms of that policy say...
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you still have the item and have been unable to get the RMA to allow you to return it?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Okell said:
    Rather than go straight down the chargeback (or s75) route, it's usually better to try to sort it out with the retailer first.
    S75 isn't an option here anyway, due to the item value being below £100....
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I may not have been clear.  That's why the brackets are there.  (It was intended as a general comment where people may have both routes open to them.  Not specific to this thread)
  • frankiesowner
    frankiesowner Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thankyou for the responses. Just to clarify a few points based on the comments made so far:
    - The item was purchased (online using credit card) on 13 March and delivered next day (14 March)
    - I contacted Brother on the 15 March to ask for an RMA to return for a refund
    - I still have the item
    - Their website states:-
    •  As long as an item is still in its original condition, we accept returns for free
    • If you return an item requesting a refund within 28 days of the item being delivered to you, we'll give you a full refund by way of the original payment method. We will bear the costs of returns and collections.

• Please contact our Customer Agents using our Live Chat Service or Telephone, the details are available on our website. Our Agent will check a few things with you and issue an RMA Number (Returns Materials Authorisation Number)

I still have the item. Brother have acknowledged my contact by phone and through their 'live chat'. I have written a tracked delivery letter to them. So far they have not responded.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to follow @Okell advice about your consumer rights. You are not requesting a refund under their returns policy. You are cancelling the contract as your consumer rights allow. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback