Blank smart meter

Options
Blackcap
Blackcap Posts: 1 Newbie
My gas smart meter is blank and won't display anything when I press the buttons. It's been like that for 7 months.  British gas have finally agreed to give me a new meter, but how will I know what my usage is?  I don't trust British gas to estimate my usage.  Does the meter keep recording usage even if the display dies?  Can I get the meter independently checked for usage?

Comments

• GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blackcap said:
    My gas smart meter is blank and won't display anything when I press the buttons. It's been like that for 7 months.  British gas have finally agreed to give me a new meter, but how will I know what my usage is?  I don't trust British gas to estimate my usage.  Does the meter keep recording usage even if the display dies?  Can I get the meter independently checked for usage?
    Just to double-check, do you mean the actual meter attached to the wall or the in-home display device? (Not a question meant as a criticism, just that we've seen the IHD conflated with the meter a number of times on the forum).
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As the above, I suspect you are getting two things confused and the smart meter in a utility cupboard is a) still sending readings, and b) will show you the readings if you go to it and scroll through the menus, mine shows the last 7 days usage.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The answer is that the meter "might" continue to record the usage, but more often than not what we have seen on here suggests that it will not, and that unfortunately estimated readings are likely to be what will be used. I would check back what your use was through last winter, then stand by and see what BG come up with for this year. If they give you usage figures that match last year, point out to them that this will be an overestimate as the weather this winter has been milder than last.  That is likely to be about the best you can do I'm afraid. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    British gas smart meters could have been installed at least ten years ago and thats about what life you get from its battery .Once its died the meter will go blank screen .Before it went flat it would have been displaying "low battery " and alerting BG . If you hold down the button ( red button on the Siemens meters )  for a full second and its not displaying reading etc then battery is dead .
    Once the battery dies instead of replacing it they exchange it for a SMETS 2 meter .
  • Wednesday77
    Options
    I have had smart meters installed  one month ago by Octupus.  Three visits by different engineers - but that's another story!   After 2weeks  I phoned  as IHD unit still showing  'waiting for current data'  I spoke to Graham who asked me to send photos of the newly installed meters, which I did.  he responded  some days after to say he was working on it, and to ignore any requests for readings which may be requested.   As I am aware rates go down on Monday, so I looked up how to read smart meters  ( of which there seem to be many varieties!) manually. I can read the electricity, no problem but the gas meter  screen after pressing the required button remains stubbornly  blank.  I always read my old meters and sent readings ever month without fail.  I am concerned that I am going to receive estimated , 
     overinflated  bills.  I'm wishing I hadn't changed to smart meters as at the moment they seem to be anything but smart!
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Have you installed the Loop or Bright apps to see if they are showing anything from your gas meter? 

There is no reason to assume that estimated readings will be overinflated either - check back on what you used for the same period last year, then if the estimate for that period this year comes up much higher, you can challenge it. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Wednesday77
    Options
    Thank you, I have installed the app and it doesn't show readings for gas or electric. I changed to Octupus July 27th last year, so don't have winter readings from them. fortunately  I have kept my emails from previous provider which may help, though I think this winter has been milder, today the sun is out and I have doors and windows open, no heating or hot water heating required! 
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    The winter generally has been milder - not sure about the last month in particular though. I don't have a comparison point at all as we were in a different property with entirely different heating type this time last year! 

You have a big advantage over many in that you say you have always taken your readings regularly so at least you have the real life usage information to hand, I assume! 
    she/her
  • Wednesday77
    Options
    I do. Thank you.  I just have to wait and hope!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback