Collecting new car - proof of insurance

Options
boxosox
boxosox Posts: 72 Forumite
First Post
My dealer is insisting on seeing proof of insurance before I can collect my new car.  I'm just intrigued why it matters to them that the car is insured.  Is this some sort of legal requirement?

Comments

• Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 688 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most dealers do their own insurance that allow you to drive away, it usually only lasts for a few days or maybe a week, I bought a new car last year and was insured through Toyota’s own insurance, did this with a new Ford a few years ago too, I did also inform my own insurance company, but was never asked to provide the dealer any proof…
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 688 Forumite
    Options
    Unless it’s to do with taxing the vehicle?
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,056 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I collected my new car 3 weeks ago and had to sign a disclaimer regarding insurance but did not have to show any proof.

It's that old Duty of Care backside covering.

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 March at 9:45AM
    Options
    boxosox said:
    My dealer is insisting on seeing proof of insurance before I can collect my new car.  I'm just intrigued why it matters to them that the car is insured.  Is this some sort of legal requirement?
    The insured party is responsible for any accidents, at a dealership it will be a trade policy. If you drive off without insurance and have an accident the garage insurer could still be liable, despite them no longer being responsible for the vehicle.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alanp said:
    Not for at least a decade.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,056 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Alanp said:
    Not for at least a decade.
    Except in Norn Iron according to the screenshot I posted.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    edited 27 March at 10:11AM
    Options
    It needs to be insured to register it for a V5C.

Dealers will usually get a list of registration numbers to assign to cars they sell.
    So they will assign one to your car so you can arrange insurance.

When you come close to collecting, the dealer will register the car with DVLA with that particular registration number but to do this it needs to be insured.

In the process of registering it, it will also be taxed. So there is some truth in it needing to be insured to tax it at this point as it need insurance to register it, so it can be taxed.

It's wasn't uncommon for dealers to offer free 5 or 7 day drive away insurance as this made the process of registering/taxing it simpler for them, but it obviously has a cost and these last few years this form of drive away insurance from the dealers been drying up.

The process is online now as well, years ago they had to send someone out to the local DVLA office to do this, so the free insurance really helped.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    Options
    Goudy said:
    It needs to be insured to register it for a V5C.

Dealers will usually get a list of registration numbers to assign to cars they sell.
    So they will assign one to your car so you can arrange insurance.

When you come close to collecting, the dealer will register the car with DVLA with that particular registration number but to do this it needs to be insured.

In the process of registering it, it will also be taxed. So there is some truth in it needing to be insured to tax it at this point as it need insurance to register it, so it can be taxed.

It's wasn't uncommon for dealers to offer free 5 or 7 day drive away insurance as this made the process of registering/taxing it simpler for them, but it obviously has a cost and these last few years this form of drive away insurance from the dealers been drying up.

The process is online now as well, years ago they had to send someone out to the local DVLA office to do this, so the free kinsurance really helped.
    It doesn’t need to be insured either to be registered or taxed.

I’ve just bought a new car, and neither applied.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Never been asked for Proof my self.
    It was the other way round.
    They gave me 7 days fully comp driveway insurance.
    First time was free.
    Second time cost me £10
    This time my insurance covered both cars for that day.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    Options
    Picked us a new last week, I asked if they wanted to see my new certificate. They weren’t interested. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback