Buying a month or two car tax to avoid paying Luxury top up

Options
NewPieman
NewPieman Posts: 26 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi all.
Last year I bought a nearly new (3 years old) car as finances allowed. The car was first registered on 1st December 2019 and for years 2 thru 6 , will attract the higher rate of car tax. I bought the car in November so my car tax year is 1st November.

Looking up the car details, I see that the Additional rate of tax expires on 30 November 2025. 

Question is when I get round to the car tax for 1st November 2025 can I buy a month of tax (at the additional rate) and then at the end of November buy 12 months commencing 1st December at the Standard rate?

Thanks
The Forum Member formally known as Pieman1972 (but failed to sort his account out!!)

Comments

• Betterthanlife
    Betterthanlife Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It doesnt work like that. If you taxed it for 12 months then for November you pay 1 month at higher rate then the other months will be at the lower rate, its done automatically. I had the same situation last year
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It doesnt work like that. If you taxed it for 12 months then for November you pay 1 month at higher rate then the other months will be at the lower rate, its done automatically. I had the same situation last year

Thanks, very helpful. I was thinking of doing a SORN for a few days when the time comes.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks, very helpful. I was thinking of doing a SORN for a few days when the time comes.
    How would that help?
  • Betterthanlife
    First Post
    Options
    Iceweasel said:

How would that help?
    I understand what they mean, but it doesnt work like that, as soon as the car reaches 6 years the VED drops down. There isnt any benefit in SORN-ing the vehicle for a few days
  • Betterthanlife
    First Post
    edited 27 March at 11:49AM
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    Not sure that's true???

My current vehicle was 1st Registered during March 2019. 
    We acquired it in late November that same year. 
    Our DVLA tax entry states extra rate applicable to 31 October this year 2024.

So we paid the higher rate in Novembers 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023... 5 times (plus the original owner's)

From https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables:
    You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).
    The first year is the lower rate, then 5 at the higher as you state, but its from the date its registered. If it was sorn'd for a couple of months as it was on a forecourt then you dont pay for 5 full years. I bought a car last year, was registered in Sept (67 plate), I bought in August, so paid 2 months at higher rate, then 10 months lower rate. Not sure of your specifics, but this is what happened with me. Maybe yours was different as you bought you car less than one year old? OP's car was 3 years old when they bought theirs  
  • NewPieman
    NewPieman Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March at 12:10PM
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, that is good to know that it will drop "automatically" mid vehicle tax year. Will just check the paperwork / reminder when it comes through in October 2025 ahead of the 1st November renewal!
    The Forum Member formally known as Pieman1972 (but failed to sort his account out!!)
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What I meant was I was goint to tax mine in year 6, then cancel it and SORN it as soon as it hit the majic 6, then re tax at the new rate. It's helpful to know I don't need to bother, work out if 6 months is advantageous or whatever. So yes, helpful. 72 plate so I got a bit of time yet.
  • Betterthanlife
    First Post
    Options
    What I meant was I was goint to tax mine in year 6, then cancel it and SORN it as soon as it hit the majic 6, then re tax at the new rate. It's helpful to know I don't need to bother, work out if 6 months is advantageous or whatever. So yes, helpful. 72 plate so I got a bit of time yet.
    I was going to do what you suggested but the guy in the showroom though I was mad and explained it goes from the date of registration, mine was registered in Sept, I bought in August (year 6) so when I bought the VED on line at the showroom it was £245(?) so two months at the higher rate and 10 at the lower. You can see the figures on line when you come to tax it. This was my experience anyway
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback