PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Energy Performance Certificate

Options
Would it bother you as a buyer if a property hasn't a EPC yet ?

Mine as a seller is included in the Estate Agents fees, But they haven't got one yet. The property has been on the market since 1st Jan 2024. I understand they could loose money if they got this and I moved to another Estate Agent.

Should I be worried about this ?

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is not ideal and it is probably illegal.  EPC is supposed to be at least commissioned before marketing.  There is a grace period to get it done but I think that is 21 days.  No excuse for them not doing it and I am sure their cancellation terms will include you paying for it.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March at 10:05AM
    Options
    Why don't YOU pay for an EPC?  It does not cost much, it is yours to stay with the property and is valid for 10 years.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/energy-performance-certificates - An EPC must be obtained before selling by the vendor. The only exemption for domestic property is for listed buildings.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 11:34AM
    Options
    ProDave said:
    Why don't YOU pay for an EPC?  It does not cost much, it is yours to stay with the property and is valid for 10 years.
    I think the OP is trying to get rid of the property...
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would it bother you as a buyer if a property hasn't a EPC yet ?

Mine as a seller is included in the Estate Agents fees, But they haven't got one yet. The property has been on the market since 1st Jan 2024. I understand they could loose money if they got this and I moved to another Estate Agent.

Should I be worried about this ?
    Yes, it would bother me as a buyer. It’s one of the things I do look at. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They aren't particularly useful documents to have, but some people do put faith in them. When we put ours on the market, the guy who came round to do the floorplan and photos also took all the info for the EPC, and we got the EPC before anything else. I'd be chasing your EA up if I were you. 
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 April at 1:00PM
    Options
    If no EPC or any EPC booked it shouldn't be on the market, it's unlawful.

Ask estate agent what the **** is going on (or is it a commercial property?? )

Apart from anything else if it had a terrible EPC I'd offer less than if it had a perfect one....  obvs....
  • HouseMartin567
    HouseMartin567 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I currently live in a cold house that takes a lot of money to heat adequately, so yes, for my next property I will be wanting to see the EPC (granted, after seeing stories on here of assumptions and inconsistencies, I understand they can’t be taken as gospel).
  • ProDave
    Options
    user1977 said:
    ProDave said:
    I think the OP is trying to get rid of the property...
    My point being if the OP paid for the EPC he can do with is as he pleases.

If the EA is giving this EPC as part of the package and they don't sell the house, and the OP moves to a different agent, they might argue it is not the OP's EPC so he would have to pay again with a new agent.
  • ProDave
    Options
    I currently live in a cold house that takes a lot of money to heat adequately, so yes, for my next property I will be wanting to see the EPC (granted, after seeing stories on here of assumptions and inconsistencies, I understand they can’t be taken as gospel).
    I don't know why properties can't be advertised with say the last years actual heating costs.  That is not open to much speculation, the only variables being do you like your house heated like a sauna, or are you happy to shiver in a cold house with a coat on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback