CO Operative Bank Cutting 400 Jobs

Options

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All banks have cut staff, branches etc in recent years, why does that make Coop Bank particularly bad? The only real solution would be for customers to use branches like they used to, i.e. use staff not just apps and IT,  and then the banks would find they needed more, not fewer, staff. As it is they spend more on IT (as the story from today confirms) and require fewer staff.

The story is, btw, on all major news outlets.  Here's a longer, more informative piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/26/co-operative-bank-jobs-cut-costs-takeover-coventry-building-society.  Which says, inter alia:

The Co-operative Bank said the cuts were part of “next phase of its transformation plan”, having spent the past three years trying to “simplify and transform” the lender and create a business that would deliver sustainable growth. That included spending £100m on a new IT system.

“Today, we have announced a series of changes across the bank which are essential for the delivery of the next phase of the strategic plan,” the lender said in a statement.

“These include the commencement of a consultation on a proposed operating model restructure which is expected to result in a net reduction of approximately 400 roles (12%) across the bank,” the statement added.

“The decision has not been made lightly, and the bank will continue to work closely with our trade union and to support impacted colleagues.”

And here's an example of the same issue 4 years ago. This is simply a trend with banks, especially those with branches:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/aug/25/co-operative-bank-to-cut-350-jobs-and-close-18-branches-across-uk-covid-19
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So clearly their strategic plan is to make the bank smaller, and less relevant until it becomes unsustainable. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 March at 9:52AM
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    So clearly their strategic plan is to make the bank smaller, and less relevant until it becomes unsustainable. 
    It's struggled for a long time but the ultimate aim is to sell it so trimming here and there might help. I'm not sure whether they're still ongoing but it was in talks with Coventry Building Society.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/21/co-operative-bank-in-merger-talks-with-coventry-building-society
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 10:01AM
    Options
    wmb194 said:
    tacpot12 said:
    It's struggled for a long time but the ultimate aim is to sell it so trimming here and there might help. I'm not sure whether they're still ongoing but it was in talks with Coventry Building Society.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/21/co-operative-bank-in-merger-talks-with-coventry-building-society
    As far as I know its still ongoing:
    https://news.sky.com/story/jp-morgan-sent-to-coventry-as-co-operative-bank-deal-nears-13088358
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm just wondering if CO Operative Bank's strategic plan is Coventry taking over tbh.

If not what could it possibly be?
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm just wondering if CO Operative Bank's strategic plan is Coventry taking over tbh.

Nationwide taking it over instead?

• jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Section62 said:

Nationwide taking it over instead?

Nah Nationwide can't take over everything 🤣
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who cares ?...well obviously the 400 staff and their families who will be affected. But me ?.....I couldnt care less in spite of having a bank account, insurance and savings with them. Their demise wouldn't affect me greatly although I've had an account with them for years I doubt I would miss them.

I have no loyalty with any bank or building society. I'm driven by what they have to offer at the time. There are plenty of other banks around. Unless they are lowering interest rates of removing benefits currently being provided it really doesn't matter a jot.
  • FredTrump
    FredTrump Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 March at 4:41AM
    Options

The only one left to take them over or merge with is TSB.
    Unless they did a ménage à trois with Nationwide and VM. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback