PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is seller being fishy / stringing me along?

Options

First time buyer with no chain, saved for ages, searched for ages, found a decent flat, finally had offer accepted on it… mortgage offer, survey, searches, queries … all fine and done speedily, got right up to the point where we were nearly at exchange and then seller demands an additional 7k… when I ask why via agent he goes quiet for days. 

Seller is a serial landlord and this is another of his investment properties. Now he’s taking a very long time to come back to correspondence via the agent… eventually transpires that he’s thinking about letting it out again and wants more money because his flat is empty and he’s not getting regular money in… he thinks conveyancing is taking too long but it’s his solicitors that are holding it up with slow responses and delays. Have made a slightly higher offer. Again waiting a long time to hear back with no clear reason as to why. But then he also took a while to come back to me regarding to initial offer.

I don’t want to believe it having invested so much already but my gut instinct is something fishy is going on and I’m starting to wonder if I can trust him… maybe the delays are because he’s stringing me along and keeping me dangling while he does something else… prepare it for rental and secretly list it? Put it back on the market? I can’t work out what. Any ideas? Am I being paranoid or are these red flags? 

Emotionally exhausted!

Comments

• dawnofthedave
    Options
    Thanks. I just wish I knew what the hell is going on. I feel totally unable to read the situation. 
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I just wish I knew what the hell is going on. I feel totally unable to read the situation. 
    It's not normal, but these people do exist and it's all about the money. No scruples.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 2:43AM
    Options
    This is entirely your call to make. Only you can make the judgement on whether to succumb to this 'ole's demands. 
    Imo, this is effectively extortion. It doesn't matter what his reasons are - it's effectively extortion. It's perfectly legal, but highly unethical.  
    The equivalent of you trying this on - reducing your offer just before exchange - is called 'gazundering'. No idea if there's an equivalent word for what the seller is doing?
    DoftheD, from what you say, you haven't caused any unnecessary delays to this process? Cool. So you shouldn't be punished, and the seller is an 'ole.
    Had you dragged your feet, then a seller may feel 'justified' in threatening this, but you are innocent, and shouldn't be punished. If the housing market was still soaring, then possibly ditto, if coupled with a delay. But it ain't, and even then it would still be unethical.
    If your solicitor has been sluggish and caused unnecessary delays, that is not your fault either, and you shouldn't be punished for this. 
    So this all sounds like delays caused by the seller. Don't bother trying to work out why!
    What to do? I suggest, try and keep the 'emotive' out of it. This is simply about buying a property, and soon this unpleasant part will just be an annoying memory - one way or another. Act on what best suits you.
    Your options will depend on things like how much you still want this property, the chances of you finding a good equivalent, and how well priced it was in the first place.
    So, is it one of a few alternatives you could buy? Or a rare beast?
    Is it competitively priced? 
    What's this flat worth to you?
    And can you cope with starting all over again?!
    You've already offered a bit more. Ok, fair enough, but I'd have done that with a proviso; "We will increase our offer by £2k (or whatevs you did), on condition that exchange takes place by the Xth". Consult with your solicitor whether you are good to meet this date. From what you say, all the feet-dragging is by this guy.
    Just had a thought. Didn't the last budget see a reduction in CGT for multi-property owners like LLs? I wonder if he's stalling to try and catch that?! That's going to be May or something, isn't it? :neutral: Is this possibly his way of compensating for losing out on this if he exchanges 'early'?! If so, he's more than what I said before, but I don't want to be banned again...
    So, your call.
    1) Accept his demand, but on condition of a prompt and specified exchange date. It reverts to your original offer if he fails to meet this
    2) Offer a compromise figure with ditto. Ie, what you have already done, but I suggest consult with your solicitor, and then ask the EA to include the proviso.
    3) Say 'no'. Inform EA you will begin to look at alternative properties until the point of exchange. Obviously, if he pulls out, you'll have lost your expenditure to date. But bear in mind that around a third of property purchases fall through, usually at some cost to the buyers (and sellers). It's an unpleasant fact of life. What have you spent so far - around £600?
    4) Gazunder. Only kidding, but it is an option....
    Try and ignore that the guy is untrustworthy. Simply continue with what you want. What suits YOU.
    Please keep us updated, and best of luck.

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just gazunder, even just £500  - 2 can play at that game. 
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Come back and knock £5K off your offer!
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The equivalent of you trying this on - reducing your offer just before exchange - is called 'gazundering'. No idea if there's an equivalent word for what the seller is doing?

Gazumping is the word you are looking for.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback