10 day trip to Europe

Options
My wife and I want to do a 10 day trip to Europe

My wife wants to visits Vienna and lausenne and obviously stops on the way and way back.

We want to drive but we also don't want to be driving all the time so we thought maybe we could go by train or a mix of train and car 

Are there good forums where we can get honest advice on what it's possible to do and all about motor rail and Europe by car /train

Thanks

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really don't need a car for this kind of trip. Switzerland has the best public transport in the world, while the rail lines linking going into and across Austria will take you in comfort to most of the points of interest in between your two points of interest.

You can find what you need to know from the site of The Man in Seat 61.
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What your total budget for this, as me as wife are looking at doing summat similar in future
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might be worth looking at interrail passes. And there’s a decent overnight sleeper train from Paris to Vienna
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Man in Seat 61 is the bible for international rail travel

https://www.seat61.com/Switzerland.htm

I'd be tempted to do something like stopping over in Paris on the way out and then somewhere in Germany and Brussels on the way back.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It really is not worth the hassle of driving for such a short trip and the driver would miss the scenery. Also there would be an added expense of car transport for part of the route. 
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 11:01AM
    Options
    Personally I love the drive into Europe. Significant Other has a sister in Switzerland and we’ve driven there, other times stayed there en route elsewhere. We’d always stop over in France there and back but by way of variety have always endeavoured to never duplicate either the routes or stopovers. 
    However getting the train is a pleasant option. We stayed in Vienna for a week some years back and moved to Budapest for a second and took the train, the fare was pretty cheap I recall and upgrading to first class was very little. The man in Seat 61 site is useful as a planner
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback