Why Do Sellers List With Best Offer .........

Options
2»

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    km1500 said:
    i then started to get offers which I rejected
    At least you had the courtesy to reject them.

As a buyer, I think that there should be a special place in hell for sellers who just let a Best Offer time out. I don't mind whether the seller Accepts, Counteroffers or Rejects, but when they just let an offer time out, it means that I can't risk bidding on any similar items for (usually) 48 hours.
    You can’t withdraw an offer? 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,295 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    km1500 said:
    i then started to get offers which I rejected
    At least you had the courtesy to reject them.

As a buyer, I think that there should be a special place in hell for sellers who just let a Best Offer time out. I don't mind whether the seller Accepts, Counteroffers or Rejects, but when they just let an offer time out, it means that I can't risk bidding on any similar items for (usually) 48 hours.
    You can’t withdraw an offer? 
    Not easily, there are some options, but not just because you can’t wait for seller to respond. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

The other side of that coin is when I receive ridiculous offers from people who will never end up buying the item in question. If I respond to their offer, then a day later I'll get another one about 25p higher. I just block them and move on; it's simply not worth my time replying.
    Then why not just set a level at which you automatically reject offers? It would save both you and your potential buyers time and effort.

As an aside, on those occasions where my offers are left to time out, and I eventually end up buying the item, I always leave 1 * for "Communications".
    Philip
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March at 7:16PM
    Options
    Then why not just set a level at which you automatically reject offers? It would save both you and your potential buyers time and effort.

When I'm listing 100 items in one go I really can't be bothered with anything like that, plus it wouldn't save me any appreciable effort.

As an aside, on those occasions where my offers are left to time out, and I eventually end up buying the item, I always leave 1 * for "Communications".

And this just confirms my belief that I'm right in blocking people who make ridiculous offers.

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've made offers in the past and the seller has countered with the asking price, so I've stepped away.
    eBay have changed their system recently whereby to make an offer you have to enter payment details for automatic payment if accepted, but which also includes agreement to use that to automatically apply to all future purchases.
    So I've stopped doing best offers.
  • soolin
    Options
    rollingmoon said:
    LOL - and I'd get the feedback removed as there would be no evidence of previous communication from that account.
    LOL even more as (1) you can't get stars removed, and (2) lack of any communication from the seller is sufficient for the buyer to perceive the transaction as negative and mark it as such. I don't think you really understand how the eBay feedback system works.
    Yes you can get stars removed if you allow eBay to remove the entire feedback due to ‘misuse’ , eBay don’t always like doing it because they can’t understand why a seller wants a positive removed, but they can be persuaded. Personally a single low star won’t hurt my stats at all, so I probably wouldn’t bother. 

A good seller can get a surprising number of issues dealt with very quickly by eBay, it helps if eBay can see a history of the buyer leaving poor stars or poor feedback, and it only works for a seller in high standing, and very often only a business account. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PocketWatchMan
    PocketWatchMan Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

The other side of that coin is when I receive ridiculous offers from people who will never end up buying the item in question. If I respond to their offer, then a day later I'll get another one about 25p higher. I just block them and move on; it's simply not worth my time replying.

You're making quite a few assumptions - just because you have made an offer, doesn't necessarily mean that the seller has seen it right away!

Quite a lot of people don't spend their lives online. I'm one of those. so it depends when I log onto ebay or my email, which can vary. The other week Outlook was down for 2 days+, not a single problem with any other website, but I had no email. Some people have the ebay app on their phone, some don't. but just my anecdotal experience - the app can log you out randomly, and you have no idea when and how it does so... In my circle of people who have used the ebay app either currently or previously, I would say 3/4 of them have experienced this. So they might be logged out of ebay on their phone for no fault of their own at all.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    the app definitely logs you out without warning for no particular reason as I can fathom

this means you just don't get notifications until you notice
  • soolin
    Options
    I've just thought of another reason why I love best offers, it's so we can block difficult buyers.

I get a lot of offers and often, before I accept I just quickly look at the feedback buyer left for others. Had a perfect example last evening, got a fair offer on an item , borderline acceptable- so looked at feedback left for others - one in 3 feedback was either a neutral or a neg, lots of mentions about not liking things as photos made it look a bit  different , or arrived day late etc , even a few neutrals saying they didn't like the packaging seller used. - the kind of buyer we all dread. I declined offer and blocked them. Woke up to a message this morning saying they can't understand why i refused their fair offer (and it was a fair starting offer) and now they don't seem to be able to offer on any of my other items, so why have I blocked them.

I'm tempted to tell them, but suspect I'll just end up with issues- so probably will just leave it alone.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    you could just reply to them saying that their feedback as a buyer does not meet your requited criteria - let them work it out!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback