Why Do Sellers List With Best Offer .........

Options
When they are not willing to accept even 10% off BIN price ?
Feels like they are just messing buyers around :(

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    10% off how much? 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would one list with a BIN price and definitely accept 10% less rather than listing for the lower price?  I would expect the seller's attitude to offers not to be fixed.  Maybe they will accept an offer after the thing has been listed unsold for several weeks that they wouldn't just after listing.  Or they didn't intend to list with best offer but didn't perfectly navigate the ebay system.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    10% off how much? 
    BIN = Buy It Now
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a seller it's annoying that offers is turned on by default.
    Some occasional buyers won't even notice that offers is an option and will buy at full price.

Believe it or not I sold an item recently in auction mode for substantially more than the buy it now price 
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    edited 26 March at 9:25PM
    Options
    I recently listed a few items all with offers turned off

some didn't sell so I 'relisted' them but eBay turned offers 'on' without my knowing

i then started to get offers which I rejected
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    10% off how much? 
    BIN = Buy It Now
    I understand that. Is the item for sale at £5 or £75 though.  As an ex seller myself. Multiple offers at the same time were viewed far more favourably as well. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love best offer - I can control my selling prices and use a very simple form of dynamic pricing depending on how quickly I want to sell. I use it differently depending on whether it is my business or my private account.

I don't list with a set figure in mind at which I'll sell, I watch (in a general low effort way) what other sellers are achieving, on my business account if I have a lot of stock I might take lower offers to clear items, or on my private sales I might use BO to see where the level that people want to pay is. I have one item I can buy multiples off easily, so I may take a low  offer that gives me a good working profit knowing I can have another dozen listed the next day. However i might be looking at only a small amount off if it is a one off item.

I also use it to encourage multiple sales- so would for instance take a lower offer if someone offers on several items . Also I am trying not to keep dead stock wasting my storage room- so will accept a lot less if something has been hanging around.

I often 'end and sell similar' to get new people to offer to and use the ebay system that way to generate sales. 

However, it is unlikely that I will take 25% off on a newly listed popular item - even when that person tells me my prices are too high and it's the best offer I'll get (and yes that happens).

I've also posted before but I've had several occasions over the past years where people seem to think if they make an offer it blocks the item from selling to someone else, I am surprised how many buyers think this. What happens is I get an offer, I counter it and I possibly get another counter offer and a message from the buyer saying they have one offer left to make but they think my price is way too high so will be putting in their final offer ...It then sells to someone else, often at full or near full price. Original person then comes back, telling me I've broken the rules for selling to someone whilst they were still negotiating with me, and this is not right and I have to accept their offer. Some people are very insistent, even to the extent of making silly comments about how the item is morally theirs and everyone knows you don't engage 2 potential buyers at the same time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    km1500 said:
    i then started to get offers which I rejected
    At least you had the courtesy to reject them.

As a buyer, I think that there should be a special place in hell for sellers who just let a Best Offer time out. I don't mind whether the seller Accepts, Counteroffers or Rejects, but when they just let an offer time out, it means that I can't risk bidding on any similar items for (usually) 48 hours.
    Philip
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    Options
    blame ebay - you list auction 7 days with 'no offers' and don't log on again for a few days (no reason to)

then ebay turn offers on then you don't know.
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least you had the courtesy to reject them.

As a buyer, I think that there should be a special place in hell for sellers who just let a Best Offer time out. I don't mind whether the seller Accepts, Counteroffers or Rejects, but when they just let an offer time out, it means that I can't risk bidding on any similar items for (usually) 48 hours.

The other side of that coin is when I receive ridiculous offers from people who will never end up buying the item in question. If I respond to their offer, then a day later I'll get another one about 25p higher. I just block them and move on; it's simply not worth my time replying.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback