PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling freehold

Options
I was told that the freeholder company of our building block composed of a number of flats, wants to sell their freehold. As leaseholders we have been offered 'first refusal' to purchase the freehold before it is sold on the open market.

Is this convenient to do at this time? I am aware of the ongoing leasehold reform so it seems to me that they want to sell it before the government makes it a bad deal for them. What do you think?

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't often get offered the freehold on a plate, so to speak, so it's worth looking at carefully. It adds to your flat value if the leaseholders collectively own the freehold.

You may want to get professional advice. Anyone advising you will need details of the ground rents and lease terms. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 March at 6:58PM
    Options

Maybe compare the price you are being offered the freehold for, with what the price might be for "collective enfranchisement".

"Collective Enfranchisement" is a process leaseholders can follow at any time to "compulsorily purchase" the freehold. (But there are rules like: at least 50% of the leaseholders must be involved.)

In theory, this route should be cheaper than doing a "collective enfranchisement".

See: https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/ce-getting-started/
  • NameUnavailable
    NameUnavailable Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Options
    How many floors are there?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends what you think the reforms will be and in what timescales they'll come in. Similarly your plans and how you think the property is currently run. 

Have known a few involved in a buyout with the hope of reducing annual fees... its worked with some but the highest service charge I've ever seen (£8k per year for a large 2 bed, penthouse was over £30k from what concierge said) was on a share of freehold. 

I struggle to see any party forcing the conversion to share of freehold nor simply scrapping ground rent... the later have been turned into investment instruments and some notable names have big investments based on them 
  • giogiu1974
    giogiu1974 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many floors are there?
    4 buildings, 6 flats each, 2 floors per building
  • giogiu1974
    giogiu1974 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends what you think the reforms will be and in what timescales they'll come in. Similarly your plans and how you think the property is currently run. 

Have known a few involved in a buyout with the hope of reducing annual fees... its worked with some but the highest service charge I've ever seen (£8k per year for a large 2 bed, penthouse was over £30k from what concierge said) was on a share of freehold. 

I struggle to see any party forcing the conversion to share of freehold nor simply scrapping ground rent... the later have been turned into investment instruments and some notable names have big investments based on them 
    I forgot to mention that our ground rent is peanuts, and service is very low, about £50/month.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    Options

giogiu1974 said:

I forgot to mention that our ground rent is peanuts, and service is very low, about £50/month.

There's a few things to consider...
    • According to the lease, is the freeholder responsible for maintaining the building? (And if so do the leaseholders want to buy the freehold and take over those responsibilities?)
    • If it's a tripartite lease (between 3 parties) the freeholder won't be responsible. So management of the building won't change.
    • But if the freeholder is responsible for maintenance, a new freeholder might dramatically ramp-up the service charge.
    (This might be legitimate - the building has been unrepaired for 20 years by a disinterested freeholder, and it now needs thousands of pounds worth of remedial work.

Or it might be an excuse to get unnecessary, overpriced work done by the new freeholder's building company.)
    •  But if the leaseholders don't want to buy the freehold, they can still take over the "Right to Manage" the building if they want

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If the ground rent is low and the leases still have a long time to run, the freehold is not very valuable. How much are they asking?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback