Overcharged; reclaiming the money

Options
I was overcharged in a shop. I've been in contact, and they've agreed to repay me.

However, they want all of my card details; the number, the expiry, the security code.

How can I do this without putting my banking at risk?

They said transfer isn't an option, as it has to go through the till. I did ask about a cheque, and was told it would take months if they could even process those anymore (I will ask again about this). I asked if they could just mail the amount owed, and was told they couldn't.

The shop is a big one, but it's independent and it's too far away for me to get back to; it was a one-off trip, and would cost more to get there and back than the outstanding amount.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Its the same details you would provide when buying something online, just for context here
  • doriangray23
    doriangray23 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Its the same details you would provide when buying something online, just for context here
    That's true, but I will be receiving money rather than giving it in this instance (and there's no secure form, they just want the details over the phone).
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make one payment every month by phone that I have to give those bank details so crack on.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It''s a genuine request for your card details so I would just provide these.  If you regularly check your statement, you'd know if anything dodgy happens with your account, and the bank should protect you because you've done nothing wrong.
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They don't need the CVV security code to process a refund. It's set like this to avoid the risk of fraud.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was overcharged in a shop. I've been in contact, and they've agreed to repay me.

However, they want all of my card details; the number, the expiry, the security code.

How can I do this without putting my banking at risk?

They said transfer isn't an option, as it has to go through the till. I did ask about a cheque, and was told it would take months if they could even process those anymore (I will ask again about this). I asked if they could just mail the amount owed, and was told they couldn't.

The shop is a big one, but it's independent and it's too far away for me to get back to; it was a one-off trip, and would cost more to get there and back than the outstanding amount.
    I think the risk is extremely small, but if you want to negate it, ask about having a cheque, accepting it will delay matters.
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are that worried, open an account with someone like Monzo solely for the processing of this refund, and keep the balance at zero.
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    If you are that worried, open an account with someone like Monzo solely for the processing of this refund, and keep the balance at zero.
    companies typically will want to refund to the card used for the purchase
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    That's true, but I will be receiving money rather than giving it in this instance (and there's no secure form, they just want the details over the phone).
    How do you think mail order worked before the internet? Companies take millions of payments over the phone on cards every year. 

Follow basic precautions like phoning their publicly listed telephone number not some random number they give you if you are ultra concerned but expect a bit of being passed about whilst they get you to the relevant person. 
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    companies typically will want to refund to the card used for the purchase
    I agree but I suspect they won't be fussy. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback