PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

After paying capital gains tax on house sale, do you also pay income tax on remaining profit?

Options
Pretty much as the title days really , but here are a few more details...

Sold a buy to let in 2023/24 tax year, Capital Gains tax already paid on profit of that sale - a very small amount of earning from income for that year (below personal tax allowance) - do I also have to pay income tax on the remaining profit of the house sale?

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You pay income tax on the rental income.
    You pay either CGT or income tax on the profit from the property - income tax if you have bought developed and sold the property as part of a business (ie the sale was income generated by your development business) but more normally for a BTL you'd pay CGT on the capital growth.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, the CGT on the sale of the property is all the tax due on the sale. If you have been completing Self Assessment Tax returns, you will need to report the sale on your SA for the 2023/24 tax year, but this won't create any extra tax liability. 

If your earnings from the rental are less than your personal allowance, and you had no other taxable, income, there will be no income tax to pay. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • MoneyMon555
    MoneyMon555 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 March at 11:56AM
    Options
    Hi both - yes , paid income tax on the rental for those years of ownership.

CGT is paid, and just accounting for the end of year and wondered about it. 

you very much @tacpot12 @propertyrental , I appreciate that clarity

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are more than 10 taxes a landlord may have to pay...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback