Wall mounted oil filled electric radiator

Options
Can anyone recommend an oil filled electric radiator that can be wall mounted. Must have a timer and thermostatic control. My current Dimplex is making a ticking noise from the timer, so its about to go. Can I use a plug in timer with it? The wattage is 1500 watts. Dimplex no longer make the radiator.

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If it's plugged into the wall through a normal socket - you could add a smart switch if you have any voice control units like Amazon's Alexa? (keeping in mind the wattage involved)

Or if at the moment it's wired into a fused spur (permanent connection) I can see there are various smart options again that connect to wifi for control.

If you want to avoid smart switches and wifi connections - I can see on Amazon there are several wall mounted oil filled radiators with built in digital timers - so no ticking. 

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 March at 7:44AM
    Options
    Is there an option on your current radiator to shut off the timer, so that it doesn't tick? I know you can override it, but does that also stop it?
    I like Cym's ideas. 1500W is no problem at all for a 13A plug-in timer, Smart or otherwise.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I remember having a ticking one a few years ago - and it always resonated across the room in the dead of night. I eventually changed it for a wall panel heater and used a digital timer - but that was before the days of smart switches and voice control. I would definitely go smart these days if the OP has the technology already in the home.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Pingu1
    Pingu1 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The radiator is a Dimplex OFX1500Ti, so a manual timer with pins. The timer is important as without it, the radiator will be on all the time. Its timed to come on a certain time of day, and switch off at night. This particular radiator is plugged into a socket, and not wired in. Basically the ticking is a sign the timer is failing, frustrating as the radiator is working fine.
  • ThisIsWeird
    edited 27 March at 1:45AM
    Options
    Pingu1 said:
    The radiator is a Dimplex OFX1500Ti, so a manual timer with pins. The timer is important as without it, the radiator will be on all the time. Its timed to come on a certain time of day, and switch off at night. This particular radiator is plugged into a socket, and not wired in. Basically the ticking is a sign the timer is failing, frustrating as the radiator is working fine.
    No problem - it'll work fine with a plug-in timer.
    Push all the wee pins inwards to their 'off' or untimed positions (so it doesn't carry on going 'clunk' when switching on and off). Set the slide switch on the clock face to 'I' or 'always on'. Then plug a digital timer into the mains socket, and the heater into this. Jobbie jobbed.
    Even if the old clock keeps 'ticking' - which it will - it's by-passed and ineffective, and now only do so when it's actually on. It won't 'tick' at night!
  • ThisIsWeird
    edited 27 March at 1:59AM
    Options
  • ThisIsWeird
    edited 27 March at 8:06AM
    Options
    Or, straight-forward digital timer, such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186352171122?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ejzgcge3qm6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=r1VXgfGMSPO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have one of these on my leccy blanket :blush:
    Only annoying things are the intense blue indicator LED (tape over it if necessary), and having to change it for Summer time (I wrote on its side in felt pen how to do this...)
    The 'Smart' timer above won't have this issue.
  • Pingu1
    Pingu1 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. The manual for the heater says "In order to avoid a hazard due to inadvertent resetting of the thermal cut-out, this appliance must not be supplied through an external switching device, such as a timer, or connected to a circuit that is regularly switched on and off by the utility." What is a thermal cut out?
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    Options
    Pingu1 said:
    What is a thermal cut out?
    Built in protection to prevent over heating.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    Pingu1 said:
    Thank you. The manual for the heater says "In order to avoid a hazard due to inadvertent resetting of the thermal cut-out, this appliance must not be supplied through an external switching device, such as a timer, or connected to a circuit that is regularly switched on and off by the utility." What is a thermal cut out?
    That's interesting, tho' I'm struggling to understand how it can apply to an external timer when it doesn't to the internal one.
    The 'thermal cut-out', as Dan says, is a safety temperature switch that will shut the heater off if it overheats, and often if it falls over. The latter is unlikely on a wall-mounted device. 
    Once the cut-out has been activated, it 'may' need to be manually reset, or others will just do so automatically when the heater cools back down. 
    What I can't figure out is how having an external switch - which this plug-in heater obviously has in any case - can render this unsafe? Ie, what is the difference between someone turning this heater on and off at the wall socket, unaware the cut-out has been tripped, and a timing switch doing so?
    I suggest you ask Simplex, tho' I suspect you won't get a 'reasoned' answer, just "if the instructions say don't do it, then..."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback