Capital One couldn't verify my details

Options
I applied to Capital One after getting pre-approved on MSE, however, they, for whatever reason, can't verify my details. I gave them my passport and driving license, and a hard search has appeared on my credit report so I'm not sure what the issue was.

I've contacted them to see if they can reveal what details they couldn't verify. 

Any ideas what my next steps should be? They have said I can try reapplying, but I don't want the same issue to happen again, and I assume I would get another hard search. I could try with a different credit building card, but would getting two hard searches for credit have an impact on my credit report?

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I applied to Capital One after getting pre-approved on MSE, however, they, for whatever reason, can't verify my details. I gave them my passport and driving license, and a hard search has appeared on my credit report so I'm not sure what the issue was.

I've contacted them to see if they can reveal what details they couldn't verify. 

Any ideas what my next steps should be? They have said I can try reapplying, but I don't want the same issue to happen again, and I assume I would get another hard search. I could try with a different credit building card, but would getting two hard searches for credit have an impact on my credit report?
     Are you registered to vote? 
  • Lightning360
    Lightning360 Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:

Are you registered to vote? 
    Yep. Registered as soon as I was able to
  • marcia_
    Options
     You have given the correct name that is in the electoral roll and on any bank accounts you have ? Easy to miss spell or leave out middle names etc?
  • Lightning360
    edited 25 March at 7:49PM
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     You have given the correct name that is in the electoral roll and on any bank accounts you have ? Easy to miss spell or leave out middle names etc?
    As far as I'm aware, I did so. The correct info appears on any mail/emails I've had from them. But I don't know what the issue actually was which is why I've asked them for clarification, although I know banks don't have to be open about this sort of thing.
  • marcia_
    edited 25 March at 7:52PM
    Options
     More than likely the people answering the phone won't know anyway. Yes they keep the reasons for their decision secret 
  • Lightning360
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     More than likely the people answering the phone won't know anyway. Yes they keep the reasons for their decision secret 
    I managed to get an email address from them rather than the phone. We'll see. Bit apprehensive about applying to them again in case I just get the same issue.

Do you know what an effective next step would be? They have left a hard search on my file but I'm not entirely sure if that would impact any other applications elsewhere. 
  • marcia_
    Options
     I really don't know sorry.
     Hopefully one of the credit card experienced posters could answer that when they spot this thread. 
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As part of the application process did they ask any questions about credit agreements, loans etc that would be on your credit file, eg, when did you last take out a loan, who is your most recent credit card application to? 

Had this recently and really had to think about it and for one had to go into my credit file to check dates.
  • Lightning360
    Options
    BoGoF said:
    As part of the application process did they ask any questions about credit agreements, loans etc that would be on your credit file, eg, when did you last take out a loan, who is your most recent credit card application to? 

Had this recently and really had to think about it and for one had to go into my credit file to check dates.
    They didn't ask so that shouldn't be an issue, unless I happened to just miss part of the application form but I doubt it
  • Lightning360
    Options
    Any ideas if applying for a credit card elsewhere would be a good idea? It would have to be a credit-builder card as I haven't really had much credit beforehand.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback