Is my shower safe?

Options
So finally regrouted the whole shower and cleaning the shower ?Motor?box?gubbins that works it - a bit of the plastic casing that was some sort of clip on access point plopped into the shower casing.

I don't know what's inside these things, sounded like it just went to the bottom but I'm worried it may be resting on some electrical bits and cause damage or power failure if I switch on.

As getting it out is going to be a case for a plumber dismantling and redoing the whole thing I'm wondering if it's a simple enough motor inside that won't be affected and I can just put some waterproof tape over the gap on the top?

Enlarging the first photo it says 'isolate before removing shower cover'
Does that mean switching all electric off at the mains?
Does that mean I can take the front off? But what about the knobs and dials?
There is a fused switch above the bathroom door that I don't know what it's for. There's an extractor and fan heater in there too.

Thanks in anticipation.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The shower WILL NOT be on a fused switch, because no shower heater like that runs on 13A or less. The fused switch might be for the fan, but I've come across loft lights / outside lights using these .For the shower it will be a heavy duty pull cord with indicator, or wall switch of similar bulk to a cooker control switch (because it needs to be a double pole switch that breaks the live and neutral). I'd be tempted to cut a piece of white plastic to size and silicone it over the hole to waterproof - but isolate the shower first to be safe.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you Mr Generous.
    But how do I isolate the shower please?

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,679 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 March at 5:23PM
    Options
    If in doubt, turn off the big red double switch on the consumer unit/ fuse box.  That should turn off everything in the house. 

The knobs probably are just push fit, but you could download the installation instructions for the device to check. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Label says "Mira Sport 9.8" 
    Google for the manual. 
    This one looks good: https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/documents/mira-sport-electric-shower-installation-user-guide-11746003.pdf

That missing 'case insert' is for the "service tunnel"  (i.e. water pipe, mains cables etc.,.) and is probably resting on the water supply pipe / elbow in that 'tunnel'.  Three screws to remove the shower case / cover and the knobs come off with the case (as I read the manual)...

Isolate by turning off the whole house at the main incoming (big red) switch of the Consumer Unit as has already been suggested.

If you feel unable to do that all safely and correctly, then call in a 'person who can'.  (Ask friends, neighbours etc.,. who are diy savvy, perhaps. Or pay a tradesperson.)
  • twopenny
    Options
    OK, thanks and thanks for the link.
    I know now what to do but don't feel confident if I get it wrong. My neighbours are elderly, mostly female who 'get a man in'......sadly those who could help have passed away young post Covid which is why I'm so grateful for this forum.
    It's not so much doing it as concerned if I do something wrong I have no idea how to right it. I'll have to have a ring round. Thankfully I have a bath :)

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nice grouting - looks very neat :smile:
    2'penny, you need to know where your shower's isolating switch is in any case, so please confirm you know where it is!
    If the shower goes bonkers at any point - refuses to turn off, begins to sizzle - you need to be able to cut the power asap. Most folk turn them off at the isolator every time, but not sure that's necessary.
    So, you find either a wall-mounted switch which will be large and red and have a neon light on it, and most likely be immediately outside the bathroom, or you find a ceiling-mounted switch which will likely be inside the bathroom, and also have a red neon on it, and likely an 'on/off' flag.
    So, which and where?
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    Once you know how to turn off the power, and after you've also done so at the CU tobesuretobesure, then we'll guide you into removing the cover - you can sooo do this.
  • twopenny
    edited 26 March at 10:20AM
    Options
    I'm still thinking of who might do this especially soonest.
    And I must look at the directions.
    I'm always good at taking things apart, not so good at putting them back together! Usually more optimism than knowledge.

I'll get some photos, check switches etc when I'm up and moving. 

Thanks for the compliment. It was in a state when bought and when I found out how much it would cost to update I decided I could live with old fashioned. Still got to redo silicon but thats going to need more enthusiasm than I have at present.

• ThisIsWeird
    Options
    For siliconing, don't forget your Fugis!
    Removing the cover from a leccy shower is usually very straightforward, and replacing it ditto. There is very little that can go wrong - undo one or two screws, and pull straight off. Replace is reversal.
    But, your call, of course.

• twopenny
    Options

"There is very little that can go wrong" - that's what I said to myself when I tried to fix the strimmer, and not learning the lesson, the shed door lock. A spring shot out of each with no apparant way to replace it.
    The guys at the hardware shop had a good laugh at my expense!

Ok so these are the switches.
    This one outside is for the fan heater.
    this is the shower pull to operate the shower (button on the shower too)
    And the main board. I'm thinking I have to turn off the main big switch for the whole lot - and not just the shower one.

Does it have to be clearer? Bit dark in the cupboard so slow shutter.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport