Kitchen refit on a budget

Options
2»

Comments

• finnunderwood
    finnunderwood Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments above.  I am following up on the DIY.com one and have also looked at Ebay and Facebook and there are a few on there that may be an option.  I have also found a few options that are made up as cabinets and are delivered. I think I will be living with it as just a working shell for a while with an airfryer and toaster and kettle!  I will post back on here when I have the finished result
  • warwick2001
    warwick2001 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We used eBay to find a second hand kitchen for a rental house we had. Paid £500 (we had to dismantle and collect), but saved around £5k on the cabinets alone. Bonus was it came with everything (inc. appliances), but we binned the worktop and just got a cheap laminate one. Mostly fitted by myself and bro-in-law (also a spark). Took 3 days, loads of arguments and cups of tea, but looked great once in.

My advice, plan your kitchen first, then find an eBay auction which includes everything you need, cupboard-wise. Chances are, if you buy first and then plan, you'll be missing that incredibly important corner-wall unit trim section, and you probably won't be able to buy it anymore, as the auctions tend to be older designs/colours. Don't worry about the appliances as much, as they are easily sourced.

Go for it. We saved, quite literally, thousands
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure this is entirely relevant but I know someone who had their kitchen's doors spray painted and it transformed the kitchen at a far cheaper price than a new one - but then their units weren't damp and rotting like maybe yours are.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had our kitchen resprayed. Units were fine as they were good quality, not very old, just not our choice of colour. We had one of those kitchen door/worksurface transformation companies in. They quoted £13K to do a makeover. We had a respray, new laminate worktops and a new sink installed for about £4K.  The respray was about £2K
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• finnunderwood
    finnunderwood Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We used eBay to find a second hand kitchen for a rental house we had. Paid £500 (we had to dismantle and collect), but saved around £5k on the cabinets alone. Bonus was it came with everything (inc. appliances), but we binned the worktop and just got a cheap laminate one. Mostly fitted by myself and bro-in-law (also a spark). Took 3 days, loads of arguments and cups of tea, but looked great once in.

My advice, plan your kitchen first, then find an eBay auction which includes everything you need, cupboard-wise. Chances are, if you buy first and then plan, you'll be missing that incredibly important corner-wall unit trim section, and you probably won't be able to buy it anymore, as the auctions tend to be older designs/colours. Don't worry about the appliances as much, as they are easily sourced.

Go for it. We saved, quite literally, thousands
    Thanks for your advice, over the bank holiday weekend, I looked at all available options (flat pack delivered from big names circa £2500, just for units, cabinets made up and delivered from vendors on facebook circa £1500, second hand on facebook and Ebay circa anything from £150 to £1500.  I have decided to go with a second hand one from Ebay which has all of the units and the appliances I need.  I have visited it in situ and everything is in good condition and working.  It was on a Buy it now for £300 and in addition I am paying a plumber £75 to cap off the gas and to disconnect the sink at the ebay seller's property.  I have arranged collection for a couple of week's time to allow for this to be done and also to enable the plaster to dry in my kitchen and to tile the floor and decorate.  I might be able to borrow my work van, otherwise van hire is £70 for a day.  I will also buy new workstops and upstand, so hoping to keep it within a budget of under £1k for everything.  My Dad is going to help me with all the taking apart and rebuilding, as he has done something like this himself, when he bought his first house.  If all goes to plan, I will drop in a few photos of the finished results.  Fingers crossed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback