Confused about Council Tax discounts

Options
Lynnzer
Lynnzer Posts: 51 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 24 March at 8:17AM in Benefits & tax credits
My situation is that I live with my wife in our home with no other resident.
My wife has severe Alzheimer's disease.
My County Council has assessed me as having a 25% discount on the rates bill. This is where I'm not really up to speed.
I guess that I'm an eligible adult according to the diagrams on Martin's page.
So that is a base of 25% discount, eh? In other words, an eligible adult + an SMI adult.
Now, that can all be turned on its head apparently by the definition of an SMI adult + live in carer.
At least that's a take on the situation that can be argued.
So, basically by giving me a 25% discount they are saying that by being married and living with the SMI adult costs me 25% extra discount, instead of me being a live in carer. The live in carer doesn't even need to be an adult apparently.
It seems very unfair and even discriminatory.

Confucius say woman who sits on Judges knee gets honourable discharge

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Live-in  carers tend to have their own home elsewhere on which they are already paying council tax.
    So not really a comparable situation. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lynnzer said:
    My situation is that I live with my wife in our home with no other resident.
    My wife has severe Alzheimer's disease.
    My County Council has assessed me as having a 25% discount on the rates bill. This is where I'm not really up to speed.
    I guess that I'm an eligible adult according to the diagrams on Martin's page.
    So that is a base of 25% discount, eh? In other words, an eligible adult + an SMI adult.
    Now, that can all be turned on its head apparently by the definition of an SMI adult + live in carer.
    At least that's a take on the situation that can be argued.
    So, basically by giving me a 25% discount they are saying that by being married and living with the SMI adult costs me 25% extra discount, instead of me being a live in carer. The live in carer doesn't even need to be an adult apparently.
    It seems very unfair and even discriminatory.

Unfortunately, that's the rules. You can't claim the 25% carers discount if it's your partner you live with and care for. 

This forum is about helping people with benefits entitlement, not about benefits policy. There's a sticky at the top of the forum. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/365935/its-about-helping-people-get-their-entitlement-not-about-benefits-policy#latest

If you have issues with the rules then take it up with your local MP.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you're asking whether a 25% discount is correct then yes it is. 

The only other angles may be if you qualify for council tax reduction, and if your house has been adapted for the needs of a disabled person

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people#Disabled Band Reduction Scheme
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback