Vodafone Switch out and then return as new customer

Options
granta
granta Posts: 349 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Vodafone SIM-only deal is due to end soon. The upgrade deals offered are not that competitive compared to what I can get as a 'new' customer but Vodafone don't allow switching your existing number to a new Vodafone contract.

So, am wondering if it's ok to temporarily switch to a new provider and then switch back to the new Vodafone contract? 
And if so....do you have a recommendation for which new networks are best/reliable to do this with, and whether a 1 month rolling contract is better or a PAYG deal?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    edited 23 March at 10:41PM
    Options
    Normally have to be away for a while and come back to be classed as a new customer - typically 30 days.

As for contract v PAYG, depends how often you use your phone.  If its once in a blue moon PAYG is the obvious choice.  Network choice, depends where you are, no point moving to EE if you can't get a signal at home...
  • granta
    Options
    Normally have to be away for a while and come back to be classed as a new customer - typically 30 days.

As for contract v PAYG, depends how often you use your phone.  If its once in a blue moon PAYG is the obvious choice.  Network choice, depends where you are, no point moving to EE if you can't get a signal at home...
    Thanks. Both EE and Vodafone signals work ok where I am. The contract vs PAYG is only for the temporary SIM so really just wanting if there are any practical issues with doing such a rapid switch in and out. I was thinking of getting the Lebrara £2/month deal via MSE for a 30 day rolling contract. This would mean taking out the contract and then asking for a PAC code a few days later so I can switch again. Would that be ok?
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are willing to consider cashback deals via a third party then have a look at Vodafone "upgrade" deals at mobiles.co.uk. No SIM-swapping, just continues as-is on new plan.

Just renewed my PAYM deal, 120GB £7/mth, full-fat Voda Red plan.
  • granta
    Options
    If you are willing to consider cashback deals via a third party then have a look at Vodafone "upgrade" deals at mobiles.co.uk. No SIM-swapping, just continues as-is on new plan.

Thanks for the tip. I was in fact thinking of doing that but then saw the deal on that site for a Google Pixel 7a on Vodafone which works out cheaper, and I do need to get a new phone as current one is hanging on by a thread!

So was going to buy the new phone deal on a Coda plan and then switch my current Voda SIM to that via an intermediary SIM. That's the plan....but I've never done that before so wanting to check it will work out ok? I don't want to lose my current long-term mobile number in the process.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    granta said:

Thanks for the tip. I was in fact thinking of doing that but then saw the deal on that site for a Google Pixel 7a on Vodafone which works out cheaper, and I do need to get a new phone as current one is hanging on by a thread!

So was going to buy the new phone deal on a Coda plan and then switch my current Voda SIM to that via an intermediary SIM. That's the plan....but I've never done that before so wanting to check it will work out ok? I don't want to lose my current long-term mobile number in the process.
    What's a Coda plan?

There are upgrade deals that include the 7a, no need to go via an intermediary. Don't know how their phone deals compare with other suppliers, not done the research. I only ever buy phones outright.
  • granta
    Options
    granta said:

What's a Coda plan?

There are upgrade deals that include the 7a, no need to go via an intermediary. Don't know how their phone deals compare with other suppliers, not done the research. I only ever buy phones outright.
    Sorry, typo! It should say 'Voda' plan, Vodafone.

I've looked again on Mobiles.co.uk and the same Pixel 7a deal for a new customer on vodafone is cheaper than the equivalent deal for an upgrade customer. So I want to take out the new customer deal and then switch in my existing Vodafone number. The only way to do this is via an interim non-Vodafone sim
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback