PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What is This? (Feature in auction property)

Options
What actually is this thing? This is a genuine question - I don't know what this is. 

https://www.bondwolfe.com/auctions/properties/238078-property-auction-willenhall/

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    What actually is this thing? This is a genuine question - I don't know what this is. 

Fish tank/pond? (tropical, given the radiator in the garage)
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could it be an inspection pit for someone who likes renovating old cars? 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Options
    sheep dip?
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is going on that the guide price is £20,000 plus?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As there is some pipework, I'm wondering if there was once a hot tub or something in there and the vendors have taken it with them.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. 
    What is going on that the guide price is £20,000 plus?
    The majority of the guide prices for that auction house are, in my opinion, clearly ridiculous. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    Options
    Surely it can only be a fish pond, but for breeding fish, not really for looking at them? :neutral:
    Still, quite a bit of effort put in to the design and build. Weird.
    Are you going for it, Hemmings?
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March at 7:44PM
    Options
    Surely it can only be a fish pond, but for breeding fish, not really for looking at them? :neutral:
    Still, quite a bit of effort put in to the design and build. Weird.
    Are you going for it, Hemmings?
    My first thought was a pond, but it doesn't seem to have any water staining. I suppose that a liner could have been removed. Also, it's indoors. The suggestion above that it might have been a tropical pond as above didn't occur to me, and makes more sense. I wonder if it could have been a pond that was never finished and therefore never used. 

I'm not serious about buying that property. I'm generally curious about traditional auctions. However, I'm not sure about that auction house. It seems that you have to transfer money to the auction house equal to their fees and 10% of your maximum bid ahead of time. And, if you don't win (including not bidding) then they say it takes some time for them to return the money to you. I find that all off-putting. And, I will only get serious about buying a property again if my son decides to accept my offer to buy him a small property and gift it to him.

I started looking at this auction house because I'm curious about this property: 

https://www.bondwolfe.com/auctions/properties/237801-property-auction-leicester/

which is near where I live. It's guide price is £59k. I predict it will sell for £165k. And, I'm very confident that my prediction will turn out to be much more accurate than the guide price. 
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Sounds like modern auction.  There are many posts on this forum discussing modern auction, rather negative.

£216 saved 24 October 2014
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure