Recent ad blocker problem

Options
Oddjob
Oddjob Posts: 590 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello, hope someone can help.
I watch tv on my laptop and not had any problems watching live or carchup, but the last few days, I have not been able to watch because the screen comes up that I have an ad blocker, this was when I was trying to watch channel4 catchup, might very well be others but this was where it has cropped up for now.
I have recently renewed my Kaspersky Plus Internet security and I am wondering if I have inadvertantly switch an ad blocker on through that, or if I have unknowingly switched it on through Firefox which I use as my regulay browser.
I can't seem to find the adblocker to turn it off.
Can anyone help please?
TIA

Comments

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Get rid of kaspersky for a start , it's russian based and you don't want anything russian based on your pc right now....

It appears that it does have an adblocker built in as part of its privacy tools, probably the only way to stop it , is to turn off kaspersky

You should do this anyway and start using the very good free built in protections offered by windows itself and uptodate browsers (most now have adblickers for example)
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kaspersky being Russian owned is not an issue in itself. It has been shown to not be spyware. But saying that, it is not good value when you can get sufficient coverage for free from Windows Defender.

The second thing I would dump is Firefox, it hasn't been one of the best browsers for many years now. 
  • cerebus
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    400ixl said:
    Kaspersky being Russian owned is not an issue in itself. It has been shown to not be spyware. But saying that, it is not good value when you can get sufficient coverage for free from Windows Defender.

The second thing I would dump is Firefox, it hasn't been one of the best browsers for many years now. 
    Would you trust it enough to install on your computer?
  • Oddjob
    Options
    cerebus said:
    400ixl said:

It has been on my computer for years with no problems that I know of.

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cerebus said:
    400ixl said:

Yes, but no need as there are free alternatives (and I am typing this on a Macbook. It has been dug into so much that its known to be no more of a risk than any other AV from a personal user perspective.
  • cerebus
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    400ixl said:
    cerebus said:
    400ixl said:

Yes, but no need as there are free alternatives (and I am typing this on a Macbook. It has been dug into so much that its known to be no more of a risk than any other AV from a personal user perspective.
    Cracking well phrased answer 
  • cerebus
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oddjob said:
    cerebus said:
    400ixl said:

It has been on my computer for years with no problems that I know of.

You won't notice any problems ....
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    400ixl said:

There is nothing wrong with Firefox.  It works perfectly well.  If the OP wants to use it they should keep using it.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oddjob said:
    I watch tv on my laptop and not had any problems watching live or carchup, but the last few days, I have not been able to watch because the screen comes up that I have an ad blocker, this was when I was trying to watch channel4 catchup, might very well be others but this was where it has cropped up for now.
    I have recently renewed my Kaspersky Plus Internet security and I am wondering if I have inadvertantly switch an ad blocker on through that, or if I have unknowingly switched it on through Firefox which I use as my regulay browser.
    Can anyone help please?
    TIA

The "ad block" is almost certainly an extension.

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot mode and if the problem goes away, then that's the cause of the problem:

If the problem doesn't go away then remove Kaspersky (you can reload it later):

If this still doesn't solve the problem (event with Firefox in Troubleshoot mode) then your issue is not being caused by Firefox or Kaspersky.

• Oddjob
    Options
    Oddjob said:
    Can anyone help please?
    TIA

The "ad block" is almost certainly an extension.

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot mode and if the problem goes away, then that's the cause of the problem:

If the problem doesn't go away then remove Kaspersky (you can reload it later):

If this still doesn't solve the problem (event with Firefox in Troubleshoot mode) then your issue is not being caused by Firefox or Kaspersky.

Thanks for your help.  I started firefox in Troubleshoot mode and tried again but the problem wasn't solved.
    If I remove Kaspersky, won't the problem still come back when I reinstall it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback