Premium Bonds

Options
What a complete fail in this months draw.
Myself and the wife have max holdings (100K). We both got zilch this month so we are cashing them in after the next draw.
Does anyone know how long it takes for your holding to reach your bank account?

Thanks

Bruno

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple of days last time I cashed some in
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just normal BACS transfer time if you manage your account online.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 March at 11:56AM
    Options
  • Brunokid
    Brunokid Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone  :)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Myself and the wife have max holdings (100K). We both got zilch this month so we are cashing them in after the next draw.

Anything can happen in one individual month. What has been your average return over the last 12 months?
  • FIREDreamer
    FIREDreamer Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mine were the full holding in a mish mash that took 10 pages of holdings. I am now selling £5k after each draw and re buying at the month end. Obviously lose out on one draw (offset by some interest for nearly a month elsewhere) but my holdings will be neater eventually - 10 blocks of £5k. Easier to administer going forwards. 
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 March at 2:09PM
    Options
    Mine were the full holding in a mish mash that took 10 pages of holdings. I am now selling £5k after each draw and re buying at the month end. Obviously lose out on one draw (offset by some interest for nearly a month elsewhere) but my holdings will be neater eventually - 10 blocks of £5k. Easier to administer going forwards. 
    In what way do you need to administer a Premium Bond account, out of interest ?

I've bought Premium Bonds in a number of different blocks over the years but just have them as one total listing on my finances speadsheet - every bond has the same chance of winning a prize and you can sell in any quantity so there's no need to distinguish between them, as far as I can see. 
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    refluxer said:
    In what way do you need to administer a Premium Bond account, out of interest ? 
    I too like my bonds organised - 2 reasons for me - I like to keep track of winning bond numbers - just out of curiosity - and note which batch winners come from.  At present, one block of bonds seems to have done rather better than the rest.  I have one batch of £2k that were very specifically bought with a small inheritance and all wins from those are allocated to spend on my garden.  Everything else goes to holidays.

Secondly, my bonds are now in 3 batches (I don't have a full holding) and just having 3 starting numbers makes it very quick to search the big winners list for my county, then glance at the winning bond number.
  • Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I cashed all my premium bonds and started again when I bought a flat with my son. Obviously I can’t be sure it’s related but I seem to win much more since buying new bonds. I have been using my premium bonds to live on temporarily so I keep selling and then buying new ones when finances allow. I have been quite lucky since doing this. Might be the kiss of death saying it in a post. 
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I don't see the point in losing a months draw just to get one lump of numbers, and I am quite aware that each number has an equal chance but for interest's sake here is my actual experience.

I had 5K in bonds for many many years, and my 'opinion' seemed to be that every time I topped up by a 5k lump I had a rash of wins that then damped down somewhat in following months. I gradually increased to 50k over several years in 5ks or 10ks. We had no tax free options left except VCTs which are too hot for me, and both at 40% tax the other half went 50k in one lump in late 2018 when I did for our cash reserve.

Returns:.

50k lump         50k in
                         5k chunks
    full years
    1.75%              1.15%          2019
    1.1%                1.7%            2020
    0.9%                0.6%            2021
    1.05%              1.25%          2022
    4.4%                3.15%          2023 

obviously early years were the zero interest rates. To March 24 totals lump sum 10.1%  -  chunks 9.2% for exactly the same 50k but the lump sum 50K was actually a month after the chunks were 50k so miss a months return for the totals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback