Need advice re Step son taking out loans and getting into Debt.

Options
Hope i have posted this thread in the right place but did not know where to put it.

I need some advice please as i am starting to worry a lot about my 23 year old step son who is living with us in our home.

he and i have the same name as when i met his mum some 15 years ago step was called the same 1st name as me and later on he changed his surname to mine so when any letters come i open them as not sure who they are for so we have found out that he has a few debts and he has been missing payments with the likes of Paypal credit which means they are adding £12 late payments each month and every time he gets a letter from them i am telling him he needs to get his payments with them back on track and every time we hear the same thing from him and that is he will but every month the letters keep coming from them so in my view he is not making the payments.

now this week i opened a letter to find that last march he took out a loan for £5000 and has to pay back almost £8000 over 5 years but he never told us about that and we have only found out by opening the letter well its a yearly statement from them and yes he has been making the monthly payments on that one but still we feel what he did was wrong.

Yes he has a full time job but its only on min wage and he still goes out drinking and taking his girlfriend out to see films and all that and i am thinking why not just pay of your debts.

so as far as we know he is about £10,000 in debt so we would like some advice on what to do as so far we have been nice about it but now i am getting a bit sick of it now as he sees me and his mum struggle each month to pay our own bills but we do pay them.

does his missed payments go onto the house or him?

we are getting worried about it now and not sure the best way to deal with it so any advice please.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While not in line with your question, others can answer.

Missing payments are to the individual, not the  property. 

Have you checked your credit file? Given the same name, just to ensure that they are not being taken out in your name/profile?
    Life in the slow lane
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March at 9:45AM
    Options
    couple of questions how much does he earn a year and how much does he pay you for "digs" money eg board and lodging.
     what did he do with the £5000 was it a car?
     if he works full-time and gives not much for digs he could be out of debt fast.

but I see it's the mentality of of it all, he seems not to be taking the debt seriously.
    you need to explain you opened mail. by mistake but please avoid a shouting match or embarrassing him.
    this has to be a subtle approach, asking him why he won't pay,  and why he took on debt,and explain the process of what can happen if he doesn't pay.
    don't worry  debts  always have a solution and it takes a long while before anything serious happens, months and months

tbh he sounds like I was back in the late 80s living with folks, got loan for a car, hifi etc, but I was on low wage too , but I paid a tiny board and lodging to parents, so it seemed that world would always continue to me. hence the car, hifi loan etc

then I moved out and rented and my cheap world came to an end.

pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March at 9:46AM
    Options
    couple of questions how much does he earn a year and how much does he pay you for "digs" money eg board and lodging.
     what did he do with the £5000 was it a car?
     if he works full-time and gives not much for digs he could be out of debt fast.

but I see it's the mentality of of it all, he seems not to be taking the debt seriously.
    you need to explain you opened mail. by mistake but please avoid a shouting match or embarrassing him.
    this has to be a subtle approach, asking him why he won't pay, and explain the process of what can happen if he doesn't pay.
    don't worry  debts  always have a solution and it takes a long while before anything serious happens, months and months

His take home pay each month is around £1300 and he pays us £240 board each month for everything and we pay his phone bill and we pay for things like Netflix and Prime video which he uses.

i do agree with you that he is not taking it very seriously and the odd thing about it is that he has nothing to show for the £5000 so god knows what he did with it.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is a sensitive one.

As a young adult, he is entitled to make his own mistakes and we see a lot of people their late twenties and thirties who realise that their money management in the early adulthood now restricts their options going forward.

There is also the complication of your names, and the step relationship. There may be a bit of pushing the boundaries to find out how much you and his mum still love him. There seems to be an increase in dependency that goes well into adulthood with the lower age of majority combined with an increased expectation of dependency in relations to things like benefits and housing.

You haven't explained your own financial situation. Do you rent, have a nearly mortgage free house or a large mortgage with recently increased costs? Decent future pensions or a serious need to top up in the next few years? To what extent are you and his mum on the same page regarding his need to learn financial dependence? What does he currently contribute to the existing family finances.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RAS said:
    This is a sensitive one.

As a young adult, he is entitled to make his own mistakes and we see a lot of people their late twenties and thirties who realise that their money management in the early adulthood now restricts their options going forward.

There is also the complication of your names, and the step relationship. There may be a bit of pushing the boundaries to find out how much you and his mum still love him. There seems to be an increase in dependency that goes well into adulthood with the lower age of majority combined with an increased expectation of dependency in relations to things like benefits and housing.

You haven't explained your own financial situation. Do you rent, have a nearly mortgage free house or a large mortgage with recently increased costs? Decent future pensions or a serious need to top up in the next few years? To what extent are you and his mum on the same page regarding his need to learn financial dependence? What does he currently contribute to the existing family finances.
    We live in Social housing and me and his mum both work.

he pays £240 a month in board which he gets everything for that even things like his phone bill paid each month and to things like Netflix and sky and all that.

so after he pays us his month is his own he has no other bills to pay because we pay them and maybe that is where we went wrong.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March at 10:17AM
    Options
    I earned about £7000 a yr back in the late 80s and paid £600 a year in digs to my folks.  no mobiles or Netflix back in those days,so life was good but I wanted that new car etc , so I got into debt. I couldn't care less about apr etc, as long as I met the repayments.

did your stepson go on  foreign holidays does he have any addictions he is hiding, eg gambling..drugs 
    is it a serious girlfriend  etc is he lending or giving her money , does she have money problems 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm inclined to agree with you on the last line. Obviously, you are all fortunate to be in social housing but that doesn't make it OK for him to be living a massively subsidised life at his age. 

You and mum need to talk long and hard and then have a long and hard discussion with him about making a proper contribution to the household. Perhaps also setting out your joint long term aspirations, like he needs to move out in some sort of time line (years rather than months). 

There's also the whole issue of respectful use of resources. My sibling was quite capable of eating 4 portions of proper bolognais sauce because they didn't think it was right that they'd have the inconvenience of cooking pasta to go with it. And the utility bills halved when they moved out as they were no longer cranking up the heating, opening the windows and going out leaving the whole house insecure.

Time to set some boundaries, but you as a couple need to be very secure in your joint choices, from who cooks and washes up to how much he contributes to the utility bill. I'd suggest going forward at least quarterly meetings to discuss household issues, so he is a capable adult when he moves into his first digs. 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do think you need to be careful about the boundaries though, and discussing the things that impact you and leaving alone the ones that don’t,  even if you don’t agree. 

“yes he has been making the monthly payments on that one but still we feel what he did was wrong”

He took out a loan. He is keeping up with the payments. Whether you agree with him taking it out or not is irrelevant. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    His missed payments go on his individual credit file not the house. If you are in social housing anyway the house is not at risk.

You can point out that his actions are damaging his credit history and if he needed to move out and rent his own place he would struggle as landlords can credit score potential tenants. 

Other than that you need to get the post situation sorted as opening his letters is an invasion of privacy. Make sure you charge him appropriate board and lodgings but you may have to let him make his own mistakes when it comes to managing money and live with the consequences. Don’t lend him money. If he is 23 he is an adult and should be making a proper contribution. Work out bills and food and make him pay his way. Also talk to him about when he plans to be financially independent by moving into his own place. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lonelygambler
    Lonelygambler Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a gambling addict, I would want to explore that avenue with your step son. 

Gambling Addict - Acting now before it's too late. Gambling losses well over 25k. 

Current Situation:
    Unsecured Personal Debt - April 2024
    Natwest CC 0% - £3000 - £1984
    MBMA CC 0% £4500 - £4200
    Tesco Loan - £10,400 - £10,113

6 Weeks Gamble Free! 

Aim to be debt free by 2026... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income