Life Policy Discharge

Options
My father took out a life policy some 25 years ago. In 2015 he assigned the policy to me as a gift (so outside the 7 year inheritance tax rules).

He died last month and I sent the death certificate to Pheonix. They sent me a claim form which included many questions relating to Probate, the Will, names of Executors, Inheritance Tax etc. I completed the form but omitted the matters relating to Probate, instead enclosing the Deed of Assignment and in the notes section explained that as I was now the policy holder it was nothing to do with my father's Estate, or the Executors.

They sent me a new form, but essentially including the same questions. Their letter said

We require a Grant of Representation to be obtained. This is because the total claim proceeds exceed our company threshold limit....
We shall require the enclosed Claim Form to be completed and signed by the executors named on this document ........

Have I misunderstood something or am I right that as the Assigned policy holder the Grant is irrelevant - all they should need is the death certificate for the Life Assured, and the Deed of Assignment, both of which they have.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback