Are outgoing mobile providers allowed to contact you after you have started port away ?

Options
LeesArt
LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
Are outgoing mobile providers allowed to contact you after you have started port away or even after you requested PAC?

I seem to remember that OFCOM brought in rules against this.

Sky called me twice and then sent me text.

I have started the port which should go through early next week.

I would not be that bothered if it was immediately after a PAC request but tedious at this point as I have already signed up with another provider.

Comments

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are no rules against them trying to retain you. 

The old provider doesn't know about the port until 5pm the evening before the port. 
  • LeesArt
    Options
    PHK said:

The old provider doesn't know about the port until 5pm the evening before the port. 

Well as I said the port is due to be processed next week, Tuesday or Wednesday I think, it is a 5 day process, maybe even a 5 working day.

The message came at 15:00 today but there is no sign of it in the portal.

Thanks for your reply.

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Until the port terminates service you are still the customer of that network, available to be contacted by them, and they don't know whether you've already signed up with another network. To try to retain you they would like to know what kind of deal you intend to switch to, so that they can offer you similar. Unfortunately for them, and also for you if cost is the reason for switching, it's too late unless you're able to cancel the new contract when you're offered an excellent deal to stay...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    Options
    LeesArt said:
    PHK said:

Well as I said the port is due to be processed next week, Tuesday or Wednesday I think, it is a 5 day process, maybe even a 5 working day.

Thanks for your reply.

If you've used the Ofcom text to switch PAC process the switch happens within one working day.

So if you put the request in today (before IIRC 3pm) it goes through on Monday , otherwise it goes through on Tuesday (assuming there isn't a bank holiday in the way, and if there is the switch is is delayed by another day).
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Plusnet were still trying to get me to sign up with EE EVEN AFTER the port to 1p Mobile was complete !!
  • LeesArt
    Options
    LeesArt said:
    PHK said:

Thanks for your reply.

If you've used the Ofcom text to switch PAC process the switch happens within one working day.

So if you put the request in today (before IIRC 3pm) it goes through on Monday , otherwise it goes through on Tuesday (assuming there isn't a bank holiday in the way, and if there is the switch is is delayed by another day).
    I did it a few days ago, Thursday I think.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LeesArt said:
    LeesArt said:
    PHK said:

Thanks for your reply.

If you gave the PAC code to your new provider before 5pm on Thursday then the port would have taken place on Friday. 

After 5pm, then the port will happen on Monday. 

(Most providers now ask you to select a specific date, because you haven’t mentioned one I’ve given you the default) 
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    Options
    Plusnet were still trying to get me to sign up with EE EVEN AFTER the port to 1p Mobile was complete !!

I switched out in Oct/Nov last year and Plusnet kept sending me bills stating the bill was £0 and no money will be taken, but
    the account was still in credit and they have only just paid that back.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• LeesArt
    Options
    PHK said:
    LeesArt said:
    LeesArt said:
    PHK said:

Thanks for your reply.

If you gave the PAC code to your new provider before 5pm on Thursday then the port would have taken place on Friday. 

After 5pm, then the port will happen on Monday. 

(Most providers now ask you to select a specific date, because you haven’t mentioned one I’ve given you the default) 
    I gave the PAC code on Wednesday 13th and it will port by Monday / Tuesday,  I have put the new sim in an old phone and the new number is still active, the old SIM is still working.

It is good to know for next time that there is a faster way, I just thought they were not allowed to contact.
  • LeesArt
    Options

I switched out in Oct/Nov last year and Plusnet kept sending me bills stating the bill was £0 and no money will be taken, but
    the account was still in credit and they have only just paid that back.

Plusnet, say no more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure