IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CP Plus parking demand

Options
Rooster199
Rooster199 Posts: 10 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I recently drove to see a show in Manchester, staying there overnight then returning home. On the way there and on the way back I stopped at Moto services Wetherby for 20-30 minutes. A couple of weeks later and I have received a letter from a company called CP Plus claiming that I stayed in the car park at Wetherby services overnight and demanding £100 from me. They give the time that my car arrived on the first day and the time it departed on the second day but not the time I departed on day 1 or the time I arrived on day 2. It's inconceivable that they cannot have recorded both my arrivals and departures so I conclude it's a deliberate attempt to harass me into giving them money, presumably they do this to a lot of people. The photographs they have sent to me show the car in two separate bays on the two days and I have sent them the invoice for my stay at the hotel in Manchester on the night they claim I was in the car park but they continue to pester me, demanding proof of my car's movements via a vehicle tracker, as if everyone has a tracker fitted. They are threatening to take me to court. Is this legal? What are my rights? 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Requested this moved to parking section, as not consumer rights.
    Life in the slow lane
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Moved as per @born_again's suggestion 
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 March at 6:52PM
    Options
    Please read the Newbies/FAQ thread to understand the process and how to deal with what is known as a "double dip". A complaint to CP Plus demanding that they do a manual search for the "orphan images" and you will be reporting them to the BPA for issuing a PCN without any manual checking for those orphan images.
  • Rooster199
    Options
    I didn't know the BPA existed, thanks. Do they have the power to take away CP Plus's right to issue demands? Is this something that would scare them?
  • Nellymoser
    Nellymoser Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No that won't scare them. They know there is no risk of any sanction points being issued. The BPA is very supportive of their members always excusing their poor practice and code breaches as an "admin or technical error"... but don't let that stop you reporting them.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't know the BPA existed, thanks. Do they have the power to take away CP Plus's right to issue demands? Is this something that would scare them?
    No. But of course CP Plus will cancel once you do this, because you've sussed the 'scam' and they haven't checked the images properly:

A complaint to CP Plus demanding that they do a manual search for the "orphan images" and you will be reporting them to the BPA for issuing a PCN without any manual checking for those orphan images.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    Options
    As specified in the BPA CoP:-

"22.2  Quality checks: before you issue a parking charge notice you must carry out a manual quality check of the ANPR images to reduce errors and make sure that it is appropriate to take action."
  • Rooster199
    Options
    Is this a widespread practice? I suppose they're playing the numbers game - send out thousands of demands like this and enough people will pay them to go away to make it worthwhile. It really is evil. Imagine elderly people or people with mental health issues being pressurised like this. 
  • Nellymoser
    Nellymoser Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Widespread been going on for years. The industry itself doesn't see it as evil they see it as effective car park management.
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    edited 23 March at 3:14PM
    Options
    "Widespread been going on for years. The industry itself doesn't see it as evil they see it as effective car park management."

Also well known by the DVLA (where most of it all starts) but that doesn't stop them providing motorists private data for 250 (£2.50) pieces of copper. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback