Options
2»

Comments

• Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 March at 10:48AM
    Options
    I got a warning for cracking tyres last September on my mot.
    The tyres had done 10k miles and were only around 3 years old.
    Serviced at main dealer every year.
    I will not be charging them as have 5-6mm on each corner.
    You had to be Sherlock holmes, examining them with a magnifying glass to find said crack.
    From year 3, the dealer has told me new pads front and rear will be needed soon.
    5 years in a row they have told me, well the tool I use to check tells me I have 6mm on each pad.
    They only start at 9mm, no wonder nobody trusts mot testers or main dealers.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the OP said he couldn't afford new tyres until after the MOT, hence not getting the tyres replaced before the MOT.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March at 3:19AM
    Options

2019 - Garage said the walls of the 2 front tyres were slightly perishing, despite having good tread. He said they would need replaced within 6 months. I got them checked at a tyre fitter 6 months later and they said they were fine.

2020 - Used a different garage. Told to get them checked in 6 months. Checked at tyre fitter 6 months later, 6mm tread, only slight perishing, will last another year.

2021 - Different garage. No advisories. Didn't mention tyres to me, but "slight perishing" noted on MOT.

2022 - Same garage as 2020. Tread fine, but starting to perish. “Still perfectly safe". No advisories on MOT.

2023 - Tyres replaced.

I got another 4 years out of tyres that the first garage said would need replaced within 6 months, probably due to very low mileage. I would have changed them straight away if there had been anything wrong with the tread, but each time I got them checked, at different places, I was told they were perfectly safe.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback