Octopus Energy - repeated incompetency and missed appointments getting a smart meter

Options
bluebrix
bluebrix Posts: 23 Forumite
First Anniversary
I moved out of an Octopus shared household on the Agile tariff, and upon moving into my current home proceeded to switch to the same tariff. Part of the tariff involves getting a smart meter fitted, but Octopus failed to mention anywhere what an absolute nightmare and near impossibility it is to get the smart meter installed. 

I've now been dumped one of their highest cost tariffs, I've had broken promises with install dates in which I was told to expect a phone call in the morning of the install with the time of day the installer would attend. Despite waiting well into the afternoon from half 7 in the morning, I had no phone call. Another month has passed and another failed appointment, this time I waited at home all day from 8am - 6pm and again no one attended. 

Our building has CCTV and a camera door entry system. The installer (or installers) are claiming that they attempted but no one is answering the door. This is easily verifiable lies, as the CCTV and door entry system shows exactly who comes and goes, or even just steps on our doorstep.

We live on a main road where there is no parking directly outside the property, the installer should be using on-street parking meters nearby, I suspect they are not attending because they feel attending would be an incontinence and they can not park directly outside. 

Octopus don't want to know, and at this point I've told them they won't be getting any further payments from me while I am without the smart meter required for the tariff I switched to them for. I have cancelled the direct debit and upon advising Octopus I am raising an official complaint, I will if I have to take it to the ombudsman. 

Is anyone else experiencing the utter contempt and incompetence from this company of late? 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 9:48PM
    Options
    Not making payments to them is foolish, simply claim the compensation you are entitled to for missed smart meter appointments and persue that complaint seperately. 

Withholding all money is likely to have credit file repercussions and could end up with you being force fitted with a prepayment meter. 
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Octopus contract out their meter fitting, so the poor service may not directly be their fault.

It is obvious that you need a smart meter to go on a time-of-use tariff, like Agile, so I'm surprised you didn't check what you had before signing up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback