Santander mortgage application

Options
Hey! FTB here. I wanted to hear everyone’s experience with Santander? How was the mortgage application process and how long did they take?  

My current timeline is the following: 

Our broker sent our mortgage application on the 13th March and so far the lender has done the following checks:

05/03 - soft credit check (affordability check, this was for the AlP).

13/03 - hard credit check (this one was as soon as the application was submitted).

Yesterday we had the following:

20/03 - another soft affordability check.

20/03 - another hard credit check.

In your experience, is it normal that they carry out two hard checks?

Anything I should be worried about? Hoping it doesn't affect my credit report too much!

Thanks

Comments

• CreditCardJunkie
    CreditCardJunkie Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 March at 10:13PM
    Options
    Hey! I'm a home mover, sole director of a limited company and its been painstakingly slow!

We submitted our application end of Feb, valuation done early Mar and the back and forward queries about my income has been ridiculous. I had a soft search when application was submitted and no hard check showing on clearscore at all yet! 
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • annetheman
    annetheman Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Hey! FTB here. I wanted to hear everyone’s experience with Santander? How was the mortgage application process and how long did they take?  

Our broker sent our mortgage application on the 13th March and so far the lender has done the following checks:

13/03 - hard credit check (this one was as soon as the application was submitted).

Anything I should be worried about? Hoping it doesn't affect my credit report too much!

Thanks

I submitted at a similar time to you! 12th March full application, 18th March valuation done, radio silence since. Have you had your valuation done?

Maybe they did 2 checks on you because you're FTB - whereas I have a mortgage credit profile already. Not sure though!
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
  • Vp0007
    Vp0007 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey! I'm a home mover, sole director of a limited company and its been painstakingly slow!

We submitted our application on 27th Feb, valuation done on 7th Mar and the back and forward queries about my income has been ridiculous. I had a soft search on 27th Feb and no hard check showing on clearscore at all yet! 
    That’s interesting, I wonder why some people get two hard checks and some others don’t even get one! Good luck with your application! 
  • Vp0007
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

I submitted at a similar time to you! 12th March full application, 18th March valuation done, radio silence since. Have you had your valuation done?

Maybe they did 2 checks on you because you're FTB - whereas I have a mortgage credit profile already. Not sure though!
    I talked to my broker and apparently it’s a common thing they do to ensure nothing has changed. She also told me valuation is taking place today so hopefully it all goes well! 
    Have they asked you for any more documents than the ones you submitted on your application? 
  • annetheman
    edited 22 March at 6:15PM
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

I talked to my broker and apparently it’s a common thing they do to ensure nothing has changed. She also told me valuation is taking place today so hopefully it all goes well! 
    Have they asked you for any more documents than the ones you submitted on your application? 
    They did ask for some more docs today, just after I found your thread! They asked for 2 further payslips and also a signed letter from HR confirming my recent payrise. Working in a big company, everything has to go through portal requests so I can't get it to them until some time next week, probably...

I'm cautiously encouraged by the fact they are continuing the underwriting after receipt of the valuation report, though. The valuation report was the cause of my previous decline with Accord so I am hopeful but not counting any chickens...

I think valuation for you is a great sign - hope it all goes well! Keep us updated here!

-----
    Santander timeline update - home mover residential mortgage:
    13-Mar-24 - Soft application & soft search
    13-Mar-24 - Full application & hard search
    18-Mar-24 - Valuation done
    20-Mar-24 - Valuation report seen by broker
    22-Mar-24 - Supplementary documents requested, sent lot 1 of 2
    ??-Mar-24 - Sent lot 2 of 2 supplementary docs
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free diary
  • Vp0007
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

They did ask for some more docs today, just after I found your thread! They asked for 2 further payslips and also a signed letter from HR confirming my recent payrise. Working in a big company, everything has to go through portal requests so I can't get it to them until some time next week, probably...

I'm cautiously encouraged by the fact they are continuing the underwriting after receipt of the valuation report, though. The valuation report was the cause of my previous decline with Accord so I am hopeful but not counting any chickens...

I think valuation for you is a great sign - hope it all goes well! Keep us updated here!

-----
    Thanks for your reply! I got asked for more payslips on the 15th, so two days after the application was submitted. Today my broker said so far Santander is happy with all the documents received at the moment. I wonder if they’ll be asking for more after the valuation takes place or if now we are just waiting for the valuation report.

I know it’s been only 10 days but the waiting is mentally draining and next week with the two bank holidays we’ve got a longer weekend which means there will probably be more delays, so I hope I get updates before then! Good luck, please keep us updated too! :)
  • CreditCardJunkie
    CreditCardJunkie Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

-----
    I'm curious as to whether these were older payslips or newer ones?

The waiting is excruciating, I'm praying we'll be out of our misery on Monday! It seems after every request you're put to the back of the queue!

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • Vp0007
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

-----

The waiting is excruciating, I'm praying we'll be out of our misery on Monday! It seems after every request you're put to the back of the queue!
    They asked for the same ones I sent but because the address apparently didn’t match my bank statements (I found it really stupid - same postcode, street & building name, the only difference was that on my payslips I had “Block X, Flat Y” and my bank statements only had “Flat Y” (without “Block X”). So I had to ask the accountant to change the address and send the same ones again. 

I work for a family business so I thought they would ask me for 12 months payslips, accountant details, business underlying profits, etc. but so far they haven’t asked for anything. I wonder if they are waiting for the valuation report to ask me for more docs? 
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

-----

They asked for the same ones I sent but because the address apparently didn’t match my bank statements (I found it really stupid - same postcode, street & building name, the only difference was that on my payslips I had “Block X, Flat Y” and my bank statements only had “Flat Y” (without “Block X”). So I had to ask the accountant to change the address and send the same ones again. 

I work for a family business so I thought they would ask me for 12 months payslips, accountant details, business underlying profits, etc. but so far they haven’t asked for anything. I wonder if they are waiting for the valuation report to ask me for more docs? 
    I find some of it really strange but I guess it must be to check for fraud! I think it's only if you're a shareholder they ask for more docs but I could be wrong. Ours has been a palava, if they ask for anything else I'm going with a different lender. We've a huge deposit, well within affordability, excellent credit ratings...my patience is starting to run out almost a month on and no offer!

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • annetheman
    edited 23 March at 12:07AM
    Options
    Vp0007 said:
    Vp0007 said:

Thanks

-----

You are right, it is :( but it looks like they're only 1 day behind the date you're submitting documents! I found this link somewhere which is updated regularly with their current timelines.

Today they asked for older payslips, probably because I submitted a letter from my company showing my annual pay increase from April 2024 - they might be checking my pay doesn't fluctuate regularly (I'm full-time PAYE).

I also forgot that the day after the application, they actually asked for 6 months worth of statements (to check my overdraft use, because I was in overdraft in December - perfect before, and perfect since) - so I've tweaked my timeline!

-----

12-Mar-24 - Soft application & soft search
    13-Mar-24 - Supplementary docs sent (extra bank statements)
    22-Mar-24 - Supplementary docs sent (payslips)
    ??-Mar-24 - Supplementary docs sent (pay rise letter signed by HR)
    Debt-free diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport