PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Issues with the survey

Options
Hi, we are in the process of buying a house. We are cash buyers and are buying a house which is empty so this is a very short chain. The seller accepted an offer of 10k below the asking price because of our strong buying position.
The house was surveyed on Monday and our surveyor called last night. He is in the process of writing the full report. Basically he found the house to be damp, which we hadn’t noticed. The house is in a costal position and he suggested that the cause of the damp is due to lack of maintenance of the render.
He suggests that the property needs re rendering in lime to solve the damp issue. This will be of significant cost and not something we factored in when negotiating the purchaser price and not something we had budgeted for. 
The surveyor indicated that the property needs approximately 15-20k spent on it to eliminate the damp and solve other issues such as broken window opening mechanisms and plumbing issues.

Should we renegotiate the price? 

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    How much do you want the house?
    You've already got the £10,000 reduction so wanting another 10k you may expect the seller to reject the offer if it changes.

Is there any backup on the report for the 15-20k to be spent ie at least basically itemised so you can legitimately claim the problems?
    But is it only the rendering? Is your surveyor only claiming that and there is no problem with drains or the roof?
    How old is the house? Older houses do often have high moisture content in plaster and such. If it's been empty especially during the endless wet winter we've had I would expect damp to have got in.

It sounds like it would be a desirable property being coastal. What sort of property?

I was in the situation of selling my house similarly coastal at full asking and just before the sale wanted to drop £10k for items only one out of 3 surveys noted and they wouldn't allow me to see the findings so I called it off. They decided to stick with their first full offer because they knew large house, room for development, large garden and not overlooked 10mins from the sea was worth it.
    But I would not have taken a lower offer months after accepting their original one.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You can try
    But don't let it put you off buying the house if you want to it
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    Options
    If you strip off the render, it is well worth putting insulation on the walls - Building Regulations would require it if the render covers more than 25% of the exterior.
    With the surveyor recommending lime render, I'm guessing this is an older property (Victorian ?) with solid brick/stone walls. In which case the insulation needs to be cork or woodfibre with a lime finish to allow the walls to breath. If you do buy and go for insulation, have a shat with someone like Mike Wye about materials & cost.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Tracet74
    Tracet74 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you ask the surveyor to add a Market Value to the report?  If so, and it has been valued at less than the agreed purchase price, you could use this to potentially negotiate.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I would pay for a damp/timber survey.  My buyer's mortgage surveyor valued my house at £0 whilst waiting for this.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    Options
    I would pay for a damp/timber survey.  My buyer's mortgage surveyor valued my house at £0 whilst waiting for this.
    And normally a load of rubbish

Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March at 11:20AM
    Options
    Finding the real cause of dampness in a house can sometimes be quite complicated, and different surveyors can often draw different conclusions.
    It can in some cases take years to find out if the correct remedial action was taken. Diagnosing rising damp is probably the most controversial type to do.
  • fromtheshires
    fromtheshires Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March at 12:20PM
    Options
    How much do you want the property? 

If it’s an older house it will likely be damp to some degree anyway and if you can solve the damp by re-rendering then it may be worth taking the risk. Old houses also require ongoing maintenance so the broken window openings and plumbing will be something to do over time.

Im buying an old house at the moment and the surveyor picked up damp issues due to some broken guttering and a failed bit of pointing on the chimney but we have accepted them as we have got money off and will have cash to complete the work. Once we have the house watertight the other issues will just get fixed in order of priority to us. 

It all comes down to circumstances, how handy you are and how much cash you will have to spend once the purchase goes through.

edited to add; never pay for a company who has an interest in selling damp proofing to look into the damp as they will find something. Always get an independent surveyor. Our surveyor said that a DPC had been done on the house we are buying by putting dry rods in the bricks and all it did was damage the bricks as the original slate DPC was in perfect condition.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback