Google Calendar stopped sending Notifications.

Options
JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I've done a search and it seems this is not a new problem. I can't seem to fix it though.

I have a win 10 22H2 laptop, latest software and I've used a Google Calendar for years. I regularly set notifications on events, to generate an email to me 1 week, 2 days etc. before the event.

This stopped working recently - perhaps a few days ago, maybe a bit more.

I've gone to the Calendar Settings/General/Notification and changed it from OFF to Desktop Notifications. Why it was off, I've no idea. Perhaps windows update did that.

I'm not actually sure what the difference is between Desktop Notifications and Alerts. I simply want Calendar to generate an email prior to an event, as it has always done.

Am I in the right area with this? Any other hints on how to fix it?

Comments

• JohnB47
    Options
    I'm not really bumping this thread. I just wanted to say that I set up a test event and created two types of Notification, to occur a day in advance (today).

One was a Notification and the other an email. The Notification worked but the email didn't.

Does that suggest anything?

None of the suggestions online work for me.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    Options
    Believe you need to set the notifications up on the Google Calender website, not the calendar app of which you speak (is this the one in Windows?).
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Thanks. I'm opening the calendar via a tab in Chrome. That's where I create my events and notifications. Is that what you mean by the website?

I do have an app on my android phone though but I use that just for viewing, not creating.

This has worked for years, now no longer. I wonder if it will be fixed in some sort of software update.
  • dc_scotland
    dc_scotland Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi JohnB47  You say you use the Android Calendar app for viewing only, but have you tested setting up an event with email notification there to see if it works.  It may help determine whether the issue is only with the web based Calendar, or something specific to your Gmail account.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Hi JohnB47  You say you use the Android Calendar app for viewing only, but have you tested setting up an event with email notification there to see if it works.  It may help determine whether the issue is only with the web based Calendar, or something specific to your Gmail account.
    That's an idea, thanks. I'll try that.

BTW, its Outlook I use not Gmail.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    OK, tried that. Used the app on my android phone to set an event with a notification and an email. Notification received, no email. I'll try creating a new calendar on my laptop and creating an event with notifications in that. 
  • dc_scotland
    dc_scotland Posts: 287 Forumite
    edited 27 March at 1:09PM
    Options
    JohnB47  If you're not getting event emails either via web or app, I am wondering if the issue is with your Outlook account rather than the calendar. 
    EDIT: Or maybe not. I see what you mean about it not being a new problem. Lots of similar reports online, but no fixes.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    Options
    There's a forum called (I think) emaildiscussions.com where they discuss such problems and I think there is a Gmail section. There are some very clever people on there (as well as here!!) who may be able to offer some insight into this problem.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look into that.

Funny how things go. I've never mentioned Gmail, yet it keeps coming up. I'm using Outlook for my emails.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    Options
    JohnB47 said:

Funny how things go. I've never mentioned Gmail, yet it keeps coming up. .
    Yes, but aren't you using Google Calendar? So that's closely related to Gmail - all part of the same "ecosystem"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback