Licence and BBC Iplayer Advice

Options
Sew_Late
Sew_Late Posts: 21 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Had relatives stay for a couple of weeks while they were sightseeing.  We no longer have a licence and I never thought to mention it to the relatives.  They watched Iplayer over 2-3 weeks they were with us and tv licensing want me to purchase a licence or fine me 1K.  I didn't realise they were using the TV.  Anyway, I've tried contacting tv licence and emailed them today. What's the best thing to do?  Happy to pay for the month they used.  Or do I buy one and then cancel in two months' time?  I stopped using it because we pretty much watch other streaming services. 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Best thing to do is to ignore anything you get through the letterbox.
  • ladruid
    ladruid Posts: 114 Forumite
    edited 21 March at 1:47PM
    Options
    Interested into how TV Licensing know someone used iPlayer through your internet connection... the only ways I can think of that they could tie usage to your internet connection would be iPlayer was used on a device to a BBC account registered to you, or you admitted to them in some form of communication that you(or guests) have used iPlayer or your ISP has released your personal details based on IP address at the time/date of when the usage occured at the request of a private company (might be worth raising a SAR about this with your ISP if you believe it to be case as there could be a case for breach of personal data).

You are totally fine though if your guests watched the iPlayer while on a mobile device (tablet, phone, laptop) that was not plugged into the mains that they would be covered by their own licence as they would be classed as 'away from home'.

Here is TV Licensings stance on content away from your home:-
    "Your home TV Licence will usually cover you for all TV channels, pay TV services like Sky, and watching live TV on streaming services like Amazon Prime Video. As well as everything on BBC iPlayer, on any device away from your home.

However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch TV channels on any TV service, watch live TV on streaming services, or to use BBC iPlayer*, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat)."

• EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    the problem is that  to use Iplayer you have to make a declaration that there is a  licence in force for the viewing you  undertake 
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 2:15PM
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    la531983 said:
    the problem is that  to use Iplayer you have to make a declaration that there is a  licence in force for the viewing you  undertake 
    Well a) the OP didnt make sure a declaration, and b) its been and gone. My previous advice still stands.
  • EnPointe
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    EnPointe said:
    la531983 said:
    Well a) the OP didnt make sure a declaration, and b) its been and gone. My previous advice still stands.
    whoever used iplayer at that premises did ... 
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    la531983 said:
    EnPointe said:
    la531983 said:
    Indeed. The letter remains an empty threat, however.
  • Detail_Merchant
    Detail_Merchant Posts: 213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 March at 6:26PM
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Well a) the OP didnt make sure a declaration, ....
    I'm not sure that's true. The OP said "I didn't realise they were using the TV", which makes me think maybe the visitor's used iPlayer on the OP's TV, which was signed in using the OP's iPlayer account, and that account might be in the OP's name, with the OP's address - hence the letter to the OP.

If that's the case then it's a harder case to argue that they didn't need a licence.
    The OP's idea of "buy one and then cancel in two months' time" sounds reasonable. But maybe also log the TV out from their iPlayer account when they cancel, to avoid any repeat of the issue.

Would be useful to hear from the OP what the full situation was, re visitor's viewing on their own mobile devices, or on the OP's TV. And whether the letter was addressed to the OP by name, etc.
    Also were the visitor's from elsewhere in the UK, and have their own TV license, or from overseas, and not TV license owners.
  • EnPointe
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Well a) the OP didnt make sure a declaration, ....
    I'm not sure that's true. The OP said "I didn't realise they were using the TV", which makes me think maybe the visitor's used iPlayer on the OP's TV, which was signed in using the OP's iPlayer account, and that account might be in the OP's name, with the OP's address - hence the letter to the OP.

If that's the case then it's a harder case to argue that they didn't need a licence.
    The OP's idea of "buy one and then cancel in two months' time" sounds reasonable. But maybe also log the TV out from their iPlayer account when they cancel, to avoid any repeat of the issue.

Would be useful to hear from the OP what the full situation was, re visitor's viewing on their own mobile devices, or on the OP's TV. And whether the letter was addressed to the OP by name, etc.
    Also were the visitor's from elsewhere in the UK, and have their own TV license, or from overseas, and not TV license owners.
    exactly this
  • grrrrrrrrrowl
    grrrrrrrrrowl Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Is this even real? I've used iplayer plenty of times without a license and haven't had so much as a warning!
  • Sew_Late
    Sew_Late Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    la531983 said:
    EnPointe said:
    la531983 said:
    Yes, they made the declaration as they assumed we had a licence.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback