Change in Nursery Funding Hours

Options
My little ones nursery previously allowed the 15 hours funding to go against his half day sessions.
They have now changed their policy to state that the 15 hours funding will only apply to full day sessions IF your child attends nursery for at least 2 full days
Can they do this?
There isnt anything in the terms and conditions suggesting that they can change the way they give parents access to their 15 hours funding entitlement

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     abcmum123 said:
    My little ones nursery previously allowed the 15 hours funding to go against his half day sessions.
    They have now changed their policy to state that the 15 hours funding will only apply to full day sessions IF your child attends nursery for at least 2 full days
    Can they do this?
    There isnt anything in the terms and conditions suggesting that they can change the way they give parents access to their 15 hours funding entitlement
    How does that affect you if your child attends half days or are you wanting to change to full days?

• abcmum123
    abcmum123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry - should have been clearer. LO does half days (where funding was applied). School has now changed funding structure and will only apply funding to Full Days - meaning my LO will no longer get any funding applied
  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nurseries are running at a dramatic loss already, and these is going to push many under. I suspect they can do what they like,some are refusing to accept the vouchers at all or only hold a v small number of funded places. I think your options are to pay and stay or move and try and find somewhere else that will accept the funding. Around here only nurseries attached to primary schools do, the rest are fully private
    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    edited 21 March at 4:53PM
    Options
    These  free hours have been existence for many years (assuming you are talking about the ones you get term after 3rd birthday). My 2 got them and they are now in their 20s, though the entitlement then was 12.5 hours per week.

I used a private nursery for them and the Nursery I used rules were you could take a half day session which was for 5 hours and funding was  applied  for 2.5 hours or if you took all day you got 2.5 entitlement for the AM session and 2.5 for the PM session. In order to get all 12.5 hours you'd therefore have to have your child booked into to do 2.5 sessions per week. So there's always been these sort of restrictions. There wasn't the option to send for just the funded hours (5 x 2.5 hours) that only happened in a school nursery. Whether they can change the rules to the way you're describing I don't know. Can you clarify is your child attends for just 15 hours a week or more? 
  • abcmum123
    abcmum123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    My Child attends for 25 hours a week (5 half day sessions) - previously these were partially funded but now they will not be funded at all as non of this sessions are full day sessions
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Options
    Do you need your child to attend in this way eg for work/study purposes or can you move child over to either 2 of 3 full days whichever suits your circs more?

I'm unsure who'd know the answer to your question. Maybe your local authority  would know?
  • mark_cycling00
    mark_cycling00 Posts: 538 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How much if the total cost is "funded" ? I can't find that info 

Eg if the nursery costs £60 a day, is £50 funded and you pay the rest? Or are nurseries only going to be allowed to charge £50 and then go bust 
  • sheramber
    Options

How much if the total cost is "funded" ? I can't find that info 

Eg if the nursery costs £60 a day, is £50 funded and you pay the rest? Or are nurseries only going to be allowed to charge £50 and then go bust 
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8052/#:~:text=As a result of the,to £7.95 per hour.

As a result of the additional funding, the national average funding rate for the three and four-year-old entitlements increased from £5.29 per hour to £5.62 per hour from September 2023. The national average funding rate for two-year-olds increased from £6.00 per hour to £7.95 per hour.

• mark_cycling00
    mark_cycling00 Posts: 538 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, 
    So the nursery gets £57 for 7 hours per day 
    Can they charge £65 and we pay the rest?

I'd rather pay the extra than have them go under.

I don't want to have to opt out of the government funding in order to use the nursery place
    Thx 
  • sheramber
    Options
    Thanks, 
    So the nursery gets £57 for 7 hours per day 
    Can they charge £65 and we pay the rest?

I'd rather pay the extra than have them go under.

I don't want to have to opt out of the government funding in order to use the nursery place
    Thx 
    https://www.pacey.org.uk/working-in-childcare/spotlight-on/30-hours-funding/information-for-practitioners/#:~:text=You are not permitted to,or require a registration fee.

Are any additional charges are permitted? You are not permitted to charge parents top-up fees (the difference between your private fees and the hourly rate you receive from your local authority) or require a registration fee. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback