IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Blue Badge Holders at the Royal Berkshire Hospital - APCOA PCNs

Options
I have recently been issued with 2 PCNs for supposed failure to comply with the parking regulations when parked at the Royal Berkshire hospital in Reading.

My appeal to the first one was rejected - "as I had not replied to their letter dated 19/2/24 - which I did not receive! the second one is still pending.
The signage clearly states blue badge holders are free. I now understand that you have to register the blue badge .. However............(i) the signs make no mention of this little detail & (ii) I actually had an e mail from them saying I had done so - apparently my registration wasn't complete.

A further part of the intimidation is that if I wish to appeal against the rejection the "bargain £30" will be £60 if I lose the appeal. I therefore feel I am between the proverbial rock and a hard place - pay money that borders on theft, or suffer further stress & time wasted appealing.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank You

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you contacted PALS at the hospital?  They are always the first step into getting hospital problems sorted.
    https://www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/contact-us/our-patient-advice-and-liaison-service-pals/
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,506 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used this car park many many times and never been asked to register, (or pay),  is this new?  I have always parked, and taken my ticket and BB to reception.  They validate the ticket and i use it to exit without payment.  Given the high cost of parking in this car park, and the difficulty in getting free street parkingr
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    outpatientRBH ...is my neighbour and asked him to post here

PICTURE TAKEN YESTERDAY

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My appeal to the first one was rejected - "as I had not replied to their letter dated 19/2/24 - which I did not receive! the second one is still pending.
    But you don't pay either of them. Ever.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Trainerman
    Trainerman Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    Options
    Noticeable from that sign shown by @patient_dream that there is no requirement to "log in" or similar for a BB holder. Therefore I contend that there is no contract so to do.
  • outpatientRBH
    outpatientRBH Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    DP Dance - as far as I can ascertain (with immense difficulty) yes it has changed - not sure about the multi storey though
    Trainerman - exactly but that is another message they don't listen to
  • Nellymoser
    Nellymoser Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As you didn't receive pcn you may wish to support this.

So many people don't receive 1st and/or 2nd pcn but the £170 payment due letter often manages to drop through letter boxes. PPCs always claim discounted/full rate pcns/court claim letters were sent as dated though they offer no evidence to prove this.

Since they CHOOSE NOT to provide evidence of their posting we must continue to press gov to ensure they do and see it included in the new Parking CoP. Please sign/share @jmccabe petition closes 22nd june 2024.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/652355
    Require communications from Private Parking companies to be traceable/trackable

Thank you and good luck getting them cancelled.
  • Trainerman
    Trainerman Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    Options
    DP Dance - as far as I can ascertain (with immense difficulty) yes it has changed - not sure about the multi storey though
    Listening and being reasonable do not make them money. Nevertheless , if this were to get to court (which it won't) , you have a very strong defence. So don't be bullied.
  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Options
    Listening and being reasonable do not make them money. Nevertheless , if this were to get to court (which it won't) , you have a very strong defence. So don't be bullied.
    As you said, the sign cannot support their claim

outpatientRBH has written to the CEO of this NHS TRUST
    The Royal Berkshire Hospital
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills