Switching from Virgin

Options
Despite following a renewal link a month before the end of my contract and thinking I’d signed up to a good new deal, somehow it went through as a new contract (I can’t see how it could) and my contract has just lapsed into the standard £64 a month. I’ve called them and chatted to them and they are not willing to honour anywhere near the deal I thought I’d bagged (£26 a month) so I’m moving to another provider. 

Will the new provider (Talktalk) inform Virgin to terminate their service, or do I do it separately (as I assume Talktalk use Openreach’s network)?

thanks

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Typically no. There is a plan to make all switching equal, but until then, you would need to inform VM yourself. If you were porting a phone number to TT from VM, that may trigger a cease but I wouldn't rely on it.
  • react
    react Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    littleboo said:
    Typically no. There is a plan to make all switching equal, but until then, you would need to inform VM yourself. If you were porting a phone number to TT from VM, that may trigger a cease but I wouldn't rely on it.
    Thanks littleboo 
  • keanefan
    keanefan Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had a similar problem with Virgin Media recently. On 20th March I looked at my personalised offers on my account as my contract expires in May and if I stay with them my payment would increase by £26  per month for the exact same service as I will lose a loyalty discount.

I have been with Virgin Media/ all their previous names for almost 30 years. 
    I opted for an offer on my account on 20th March and received a confirmation email the same day with the new contract attached.

On checking my account yesterday it has not changed and under "my orders" there is nothing.  I called VM and they said the online offers are not working.  Also they can't give me the same offer over the phone.  I spoke with retentions today and they confirmed that.

I had already checked what I can get elsewhere and  VM couldn't offer me anything like it. 
    If I was totally happy with the service I probably wouldn't object to paying more; but I have had big problems with my broadband going down almost every day and having to regularly reset the router.
    So today I gave VM notice after nearly 30 years with them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback