IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gladstones LBC - query re. Gladstones text messages.

Options
Hi all, 

I have 5 parking charge notices relating to June 2023 from CPM UK Car Park Management, issued over consecutive days, for parking in my allocated space at my block of flats for failing to display a permit. 

I received a LBC a few weeks ago in respect to one of the charges, and have drafted the response as detailed in the Newbies section and will send that off in due course when close to the 30 days time window. 

My question however relates to Gladstones texting me. On 1 March 2024 I received a generic message that notes 'further to our letter...' and requesting I pay the £170. The reference number on the text message is identical to the one on the LBC. I am obviously ignoring the text as I am sending my LBC reply.  

However, today I received another text from Gladstones, identical in nature to the first one, that states I owe £510, however, with a different reference number. I am certain I have only received one LBC from Gladstones, but this text message implies that there has been another LBC sent, as it has a different ref. no on. Given the charge is £510, I am also inferring that they are implying I did not reply to an initial letter hence the higher amount. 

For clarity, this vehicle has only been registered to my current address and all parking charge notices, debt recovery plus letters and initial Gladstones letter have arrived safely. 

My question - should I contact Gladstones to understand what this £510 relates to and whether they are claiming to have sent me a letter with regards to it, or ignore it and just continue with my response to the actual LBC I did receive a few weeks ago?

Thanks. 

Comments

• nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 1:23PM
    Options
    You could inform Gladstones that you do not accept communications via text and you will be blocking their number. Ideally, you should only accept communications by email. Of course you can accept by snail mail but that is terrible these days.

Do Gladstones AND the PPC have your current address for service? If there is a remote chance that they have an old address on file, you must immediately instruct the DPOs of both Gladstones and the PPC to rectify your data and update their records with your current address for service and they must erase your old address. The highlighted words are there for a reason so please use them.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would attach a screenshot of the text about the £510 one and in the same LBC response ask them to explain.

Ask them how many letters they have sent to your old address and to ERASE that address immediately from all files they are processing about you as a data subject (involving any client, any PCN refs) including the unknown £510 case and to explain why these cases have not been consolidated.

As only one LBC has been received, you require their reply to attach copies of ALL LBCs sent to your old address (name that address) and to confirming will not be used for service of ANY court claim.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I read the post:
    For clarity, this vehicle has only been registered to my current address and all parking charge notices, debt recovery plus letters and initial Gladstones letter have arrived safely. 
    As indicating the vehicle has not been registered any where else other than the current address, hence the OP's concern that they may have sent other claims, the different reference on the second text, or be inflating the invoice.

Is there an aggregation factor involved 3*£170 = £510.

And if you are expecting 5 claims then they may invoice for £850

I feel that currently there is too little information.

I would not be content receiving these demands via text messages, where do they get your number? Can DVLA store and release this? Is there something here for GDPR personal data breach?

Does calling an organisation on a mobile phone give them any right to send you an SMS via that number? I can only recall the relevant tick boxes you tend to get nowadays that seek your approval to contact you for marketing and other various purposes via SMS/Email/mail.
  • Nellymoser
    Nellymoser Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Completely agree with @BikingBud regarding demands via text messages and the questions raised. It's just not the type of practice I'd expect from a legitimate professional company.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I would not be content receiving these demands via text messages, where do they get your number? Can DVLA store and release this? Is there something here for GDPR personal data breach?
    No, they did a soft trace; got the number from a Credit Ref Agency which is OK.

The DVLA don't hand out phone numbers.
  • thestormyburrito
    Options
    Hi, 

Just by way of an update - I have yet to receive any correspondence to my response to the LBC using the standard template, sent on 22 March 2024 via email. 

However, I have now received another LBC, dated 18th April 2024, which relates to one of the original 5 parking notices I received. 

In my template response to the LBC on 22 March 2024, I said that all correspondence should be sent via email going forward and requested that all claims be consolidated. 

My question is whether I should now respond to this letter separately, referencing my original response to the LBC, or whether I should ignore it given I've already said that I will only respond to correspondence via email and that I wanted all tickets consolidated?

Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Reply and remind them.  They need a bit of help to join dots...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure