PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying House I'm Renting

Options
LL has informed me they are wanting to sell the property I am currently renting, but I might be in a position to buy it myself. I have an agreement in principle for an amount that should more than cover it, but is there anything I should be aware of that might be unusual given the situation?
There is also a high likelihood that the selling agent and the current rental agent will be the same company.
Are there any risks to asking the agent roughly what amount the LL might be wanting for the place, or is getting my own valuation a good idea?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In that respect, it’s no different to any other purchase. You do your research and you pay what you think it is worth. 
    You might also want to see if you can negotiate a discount, based on the fact they don’t have to spend time and effort evicting the current tenant if the current tenant is the one who buys it.
    So the usual compromise with what you are willing to offer, and what they are willing to accept.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In a situation like this I'd suggest 3 valuations, then negotiate. You'll get a ball park figure - but look at sold prices on Rightmove to get a realistic figure in mind befoe you get into it.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March at 5:05PM
    Options
    I'm not sure I can see the problem in you asking the LL approximately how much they want to sell the place for. It would start negotiation, and let the LL know you're interested. 

While there may be a discount possible due to you not having to leave the property, if I was the LL I wouldn't want to sell under market price without trying the market first. But, a demonstrably reasonable price - that could be quick.

If you approach the LL before they sign up with the agent, could that mean that they avoid paying fees to the agent? 

Haven't we seen a number of landlords here mentioning (in a positive way) the possibility of selling to the sitting tenant? 
  • enigmo
    enigmo Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    I'm not sure I can see the problem in you asking the LL approximately how much they want to sell the place for. It would start negotiation, and let the LL know you're interested. 

While there may be a discount possible due to you not having to leave the property, if I was the LL I wouldn't want to sell under market price without trying the market first. But, a demonstrably reasonable price - that could be quick.

If you approach the LL before they sign up with the agent, could that mean that they avoid paying fees to the agent? 

Haven't we seen a number of landlords here mentioning (in a positive way) the possibility of selling to the sitting tenant? 
    I would give it a go if I could, but I don't have any direct contact with the LL. Everything has always been done via the rental agent so I may have no choice but to go through them for everything. Personally, while I'd appreciate a decent price based on speed and convenience for the LL, I'm not looking to lowball anyone. At the moment, ensuring some sort of stability and continuity for the family is more important.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    enigmo said:
    RHemmings said:

I would give it a go if I could, but I don't have any direct contact with the LL. Everything has always been done via the rental agent so I may have no choice but to go through them for everything. Personally, while I'd appreciate a decent price based on speed and convenience for the LL, I'm not looking to lowball anyone. At the moment, ensuring some sort of stability and continuity for the family is more important.
    Your landlord's name and address should be on the rental contract. However, the address may be the address of the EA.

If you sent a letter to the landlord c/o the EA in a sealed envelope, then surely the EA should pass it on without opening it. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    enigmo said:
    LL has informed me they are wanting to sell the property I am currently renting, but I might be in a position to buy it myself. I have an agreement in principle for an amount that should more than cover it, but is there anything I should be aware of that might be unusual given the situation?
    There is also a high likelihood that the selling agent and the current rental agent will be the same company.
    Are there any risks to asking the agent roughly what amount the LL might be wanting for the place, or is getting my own valuation a good idea?
    You have not said if the house is in good condition, problems with the neighbours, leasehold, or anything unusual about it ?
  • enigmo
    enigmo Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have not said if the house is in good condition, problems with the neighbours, leasehold, or anything unusual about it ?
    Freehold, no real neighbour problems. Not been redecorated in a decade and needs some work at the front on a small damp issue, but nothing terrible.
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    We bought from a landlord many years ago. Windows were in poor condition, kitchen was old and there was no central heating but we knew these and other issues and it was good to save moving costs.
    We did all the usual process - searches, survey and so on - even though we knew the place.

It seemed to take forever to go through - I think that with no need to fix a moving date there was less pressure on everyone to keep it moving!

We also had a glitch with the landlord who decided he wanted us to pay and additional amount for the new gas fire - he'd recently had to fit a new one as the old one was condemned. It left a sour taste so we called his bluff and told him he could come and take it away. Moral of the story - make sure you're clear from the fixtures and fittings forms that there's nothing unexpected!
  • njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would say your the landlords dream.
    If you buy it you will be paying rent right up to the point of completion so there will be no void period of rent for the landlord.
    I would definitely try and speak with him and get some form of discount as you may save him thousands in lost rent if you were to move out whilst he /she then trys to sell it.
    Good luck.
  • InMyDreams
    InMyDreams Posts: 891 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RHemmings said:

We would like to buy the house we are renting too (but our LL is not interested in selling, unfortunately).

Before we approached him, we found online the standard contract his letting agent uses which unfortunately included a clause about exactly this. If he was to sell to us, the letting agent would get a percentage anyway. So I assume this is standard as it must happen often enough for the letting agents to all have this covered in their T&C. Easy money!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback