Virgin media price negotiation - How are people doing?

Options
easy
easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 March at 4:00PM in Phones & TV
Hubby on the phone right now,  just over an hour so far,  as they are trying to raise our monthly charge from £59 to £88 !!!
So far the best offer they have made is to give us a much bigger package (faster BB,  loads more channels, free anytime calls) for £69.   But we're happy with the package we have.  I don't want to be paying more than £60.

Really galling that new customers are being offered a similar package to ours,  for £49 :( 
I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)

Comments

• Alpha_5
    Alpha_5 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 March at 4:06PM
    Options
    To get their best deals you need to actually cancel everything by giving them 30 days notice. Nothing happens to your services immediately but, provided your opted-in to marketing (you can do this in your online account), you should get a call back in a day or two with better offers.

If for any reason they don't call you back then you can cancel your cancellation on day 29 and still try to renegotiate a better deal with them.
  • Tony5896
    Tony5896 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    they wouldn't play ball so ive put my notice in .. had a couple of calls but never been in a position to take the call to see what they offer
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 12:21PM
    Options
    Like I've said many times before, there's no need to haggle with Virgin if you live with a partner.

Just get your husband to cancel your current contract with Virgin. Then, sign up for the new customer deal with Virgin under your own name. When this deal ends, cancel the contract and get your husband to sign up as a new customer, and so on and so forth. 

The best deals are always reserved for new customer land this method ensures you always get new customer deals.

In fact there's a thread talking about it here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6514915/switching-virgin-from-husband-to-wife
  • grrrrrrrrrowl
    grrrrrrrrrowl Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I complained about the upcoming April 1st price rises until eventually I got put through to someone that said they were a floor manager. The added a rolling credit to counteract the price increase until the end of my contract!
  • Chrisandbev
    Chrisandbev Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I complained about the upcoming April 1st price rises until eventually I got put through to someone that said they were a floor manager. The added a rolling credit to counteract the price increase until the end of my contract!
    Wow- I thought this would not work as increase is quoted in their contracts?
    How much increase have you avoided. My broadband goes up £4 per month and I assumed I have no choice until end of year when my contract ends?
  • grrrrrrrrrowl
    grrrrrrrrrowl Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow- I thought this would not work as increase is quoted in their contracts?
    How much increase have you avoided. My broadband goes up £4 per month and I assumed I have no choice until end of year when my contract ends?
    Not much, just under £4
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I renegotiated last month. I do it via the online chat. The person I was dealing with told me that because I would have got a new customer deal when I first signed up to VM about 9 years ago, they couldn't match the new customer deal now. You would think that they would just look at our account and see that we play the negotiation game every 18 months, and just give us the offer we would end up receiving anyway. Got virtually the same package for £15 a month less than we were paying and £80 a month less than they were on about charging. Only issue is that TNT sports (formerly BT sports) is no longer part of the sports package so would have to be purchased separately. I'll give it a miss.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback