Switching Virgin from husband to wife

Options
vurtvurt
vurtvurt Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Just a thought.
I've come out of contract with Virgin Media for broadband, mix TV package and phone.

I've tried my usual cancellation process when they normally make a deal to keep my account. But they would only come down to £60.

Could I cancel and then my wife could join as a new customer and get a new customer deal for around £30. Is this allowed or do they have some reason to avoid this practice.

If allowed after 18 month she could cancel and I'd start again as a new customer.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ididgetwhereiamtoday
    Options
    Yes I did that. The advisor on the phone advised me to do that so it’s perfectly legitimate. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    vurtvurt said:
    Just a thought.
    I've come out of contract with Virgin Media for broadband, mix TV package and phone.

I've tried my usual cancellation process when they normally make a deal to keep my account. But they would only come down to £60.

Could I cancel and then my wife could join as a new customer and get a new customer deal for around £30. Is this allowed or do they have some reason to avoid this practice.

If allowed after 18 month she could cancel and I'd start again as a new customer.

Thanks in advance.

Read the terms... certainly with Sky it used to be the case that there were clauses about other members of the household having recently had service invalidating new customer discounts and you agreeing to pay the full price back dated to the start
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 March at 11:40AM
    Options
    I think it’s doable, the question is can it be done without a break in service,
    I seem to recall from previous threads, something like a 3 month break is required if the new customer has the same name or payment made from the same account, but that’s possibly a dodgy recollection, the obvious thing to do is call and ask

FWIW , a friend was unhappy with the price he was paying VM , especially when his son moved out and took the same VM package at his own address for around 50% of the cost , renegotiating hardly reduced the price at all , and even that had to be achieved by reducing broadband speed and less TV etc …..in face of that stance taken by Virgin, he gave his  notice to quit ,  a short while later ( a few days , a week something like that ) ,Virgin  ‘retentions ’ gave him a call , asking why he was leaving , and offered a price comparable to what the son had as a new customer, something the original adviser stated was impossible.

Perhaps try playing hard ball and actually start the notice period rather than simply threatening to leave , it seems that Virgin do buckle , but it’s not guaranteed, they must call the bluff of many , who never actually quit , it’s also possible that an equal or better deal can be had from alternative suppliers, many still think Virgin is a superior network, that’s not necessarily the case .
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 12:16PM
    Options
    Yes, I've done this several times with Virgin and rotated the name on the account between myself and my partner. I never bother haggling. I just cancel and sign up as a new customer. The best deals are always reserved for new customers.

I've managed to do this with minimal breaks in service. I normally set the new contract to start the day after the old one ends. I might have to tether off my phone for 1 day, but it's not the end of the world.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, you shouldn't need to switch between you and your wife. Just tell VM you are cancelling. Our account has been in my partners name since we first joined them, and I've done the renegotiating dance every 18 months via online chat. The first line negotiators won't necessarily be able to offer you the deal you want, but the 'oh my god he really is gonna cancel' team will do (at least 99% of the time afaik). If you can see a great deal on their website that suits your needs at a price you are happy with, then they'll offer it. You won't get better than that, but that's the minimum you should aim for. 
  • kaysdee
    kaysdee Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven’t found that this time round. Fully cancelled my package with my notice period due to end in around 10 days and prepared to go through with it. Turned down their retention offer (still way expensive), have all marketing options switched on and have had no contact from them. Got my daughter to sign up as a new customer last weekend and still had no contact from them, so I guess we’ll just put up with the minor inconvenience of switching equipment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback