2»

Comments

• OrbitHeadache
    OrbitHeadache Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Marcon said:
    If you felt like making them regret their decision, it would be an unfortunate time to come down with chronic back pain

Joking, but that is what they deserve
    Why? Employers need to run a business efficiently or they tend to run out of cash; fail; and then everyone is out of a job.
    That is really not the problem of the person who is about to be made redundant

Asking the person who is about to be laid off to train others in his job smacks of poor management.

Why would he care enough to train colleagues properly?

He might as well phone in sick and let someone else worry about this stuff
    During years of employment can indeed be a small world. You'll never know when you might cross paths again with somebody else.  Nor is it unknown for people to subsequently rejoin the employer at a later date. Reputations can easily be made or lost. 

If someone's reputation is really high in the eyes of the employer they would not be  being made redundant rather would have been found another role

Telling someone they are about to be laid off but before you become unemployed please train the new recruits how to do your job is a kick in the teeth and extremely disrespectful.

If that was me I would make minimal effort training the new starters 

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If someone's reputation is really high in the eyes of the employer they would not be  being made redundant rather would have been found another role

Telling someone they are about to be laid off but before you become unemployed please train the new recruits how to do your job is a kick in the teeth and extremely disrespectful.

But it's not new starters being trained, it's colleagues! Whose job is changing. I'd train them as well as I could.

I was made redundant, along with some whole teams. My role was very 'niche', and I could see that with fewer staff my role could be absorbed into other roles, with part of it being mostly outsourced. 

The redundancies were no reflection of how highly or otherwise we were thought of. Some of my colleagues were redeployed, and some would go back if a suitable vacancy arose.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wyndham said:
    Legally, with redundancy, the role is redundant, not the person. You could argue that if you are training people then the role still exists...

Slightly flippant - more seriously, I've been through this and it's a horrible thing. I hope it's not too bad for you.

change in  operational needs   meaning headcount  is reduced   is a legitimate response to that  claim , unless you have evidence  that the  selection criteria  is unfair  or has been  applied incorrectly  , it;s a none starter
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Marcon said:
    If you felt like making them regret their decision, it would be an unfortunate time to come down with chronic back pain

Joking, but that is what they deserve
    Why? Employers need to run a business efficiently or they tend to run out of cash; fail; and then everyone is out of a job.
    That is really not the problem of the person who is about to be made redundant

Asking the person who is about to be laid off to train others in his job smacks of poor management.

Why would he care enough to train colleagues properly?

He might as well phone in sick and let someone else worry about this stuff
    During years of employment can indeed be a small world. You'll never know when you might cross paths again with somebody else.  Nor is it unknown for people to subsequently rejoin the employer at a later date. Reputations can easily be made or lost. 

There may not be another role to find...

Nothing 'disrespectful' about the employer's request. 

Hopefully OP will be able to take a more professional approach.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback