Being made redundant and training other people to do my job

Options
I will be brief as I have my 1st consultation meeting shortly..
I have been put on redundancy notice and have been told my role and workload will be redistributed to a department that does not normally do my type of work.
Can I realistically be asked to train the people that will be doing my role after I have left?

Thanks 
:j

Comments

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ferry said:
    I have been put on redundancy notice and have been told my role and workload will be redistributed to a department that does not normally do my type of work.
    Can I realistically be asked to train the people that will be doing my role after I have left?

Thanks 
    Yes of course you can. While you are still employed you can be asked to do your normal job or other duties within the scope of your job and that I imagine involves training. I'm sure it's a kick in the teeth for you though. 

If you wanted to leave and receive no pay, they will probably consider it and you don't need to train others then. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    ferry said:

Thanks 
    That's what normally happens.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March at 6:08PM
    Options
    If you felt like making them regret their decision, it would be an unfortunate time to come down with chronic back pain

Joking, but that is what they deserve
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can. But it doesn't mean you have to train them very well!
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great stuff thanks
    :j
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March at 7:09PM
    Options
    Legally, with redundancy, the role is redundant, not the person. You could argue that if you are training people then the role still exists...

Slightly flippant - more seriously, I've been through this and it's a horrible thing. I hope it's not too bad for you.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wyndham said:
    Legally, with redundancy, the role is redundant, not the person. You could argue that if you are training people then the role still exists...

Slightly flippant - more seriously, I've been through this and it's a horrible thing. I hope it's not too bad for you.

You can try to argue anything you like but if a role is being removed and the work distributed amongst other people that is true redundancy.   I went through redundancy 4 times.  On three of those the company was restructuring and relocating and I had no wish to move.  On the 4th I was happy to get out anyway.  Where it did go sour was when one of the people taking on my work started moaning to me about the extra workload.  As I couldn't stand that individual I really laid into them in a large open plan office. I was losing my job and they were complaining about keeping theirs etc. They ended up in tears which made my day.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you felt like making them regret their decision, it would be an unfortunate time to come down with chronic back pain

Why? Employers need to run a business efficiently or they tend to run out of cash; fail; and then everyone is out of a job.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • OrbitHeadache
    OrbitHeadache Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Marcon said:

Why? Employers need to run a business efficiently or they tend to run out of cash; fail; and then everyone is out of a job.
    That is really not the problem of the person who is about to be made redundant

Asking the person who is about to be laid off to train others in his job smacks of poor management.

Why would he care enough to train colleagues properly?

He might as well phone in sick and let someone else worry about this stuff
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Marcon said:

That is really not the problem of the person who is about to be made redundant

Asking the person who is about to be laid off to train others in his job smacks of poor management.

Why would he care enough to train colleagues properly?

He might as well phone in sick and let someone else worry about this stuff
    During years of employment can indeed be a small world. You'll never know when you might cross paths again with somebody else.  Nor is it unknown for people to subsequently rejoin the employer at a later date. Reputations can easily be made or lost. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback