Water bill higher than my neighbours

Options
Nafta
Nafta Posts: 43 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I have recently received my water bill for next April and when talking to a neighbour they were surprised it is at least £20 higher than theirs and they are 4 in a 3 bedroom house where there is only two of us in a 3 bedroom house. When I contacted Thames water they said I should request a meter but I cannot have a meter installed as I am a council tenant. Can I then ask them to bill be as an assessed household? Because I did ask for this and they refused.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nafta said:
    Hi, I have recently received my water bill for next April and when talking to a neighbour they were surprised it is at least £20 higher than theirs and they are 4 in a 3 bedroom house where there is only two of us in a 3 bedroom house. When I contacted Thames water they said I should request a meter but I cannot have a meter installed as I am a council tenant. Can I then ask them to bill be as an assessed household? Because I did ask for this and they refused.
    An assessed charge is only where a water meter cannot be fitted due to physical constraints, not because of (landlord) unwillingness. That being said have you mentioned this to the council, customers are not allowed to refuse the fitting of a water meter so I would be surprised if the council blocked this, most are fitted in the pavement in the same hole that the stop c*ck is normally in. I would imagine the council would either not care, or would have no issue. 
  • Nafta
    Nafta Posts: 43 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay, so I did ask and I was told no to water meter. However how is it possible that a same size house, in the street, more people living there have a water bill £20 or more cheaper than mine. they are also council tenants with no water meter. I do not think that is fair

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    Options
    Nafta said:
    Okay, so I did ask and I was told no to water meter. 
    I would ask again, in writing, saying that Thames Water want to fit one and see if you get a different response, I cannot see any valid reason why the council would object.
    Nafta said:
    However how is it possible that a same size house, in the street, more people living there have a water bill £20 or more cheaper than mine. they are also council tenants with no water meter.
    The unmetered charges are based on rateable value/notional value which can be arbitrary, the number of people living there is irrelevant.
    Nafta said:
    I do not think that is fair
    Fairness does not come into it. 
  • toby3210
    toby3210 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Is it metred? Or do they know how many people are living there? When I moved homes the water company explicity asked how many people were living there and based the pricing of that. Perhaps that could have something to do with it?
  • Jyana
    Jyana Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    Section 11 of the Water Industry Act 1999 states that a landlord cannot refuse to let you get a water meter installed, unless you have a fixed term tenancy of less than six months. Might be worth quoting that to them and see what they say? 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1999/9
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    Options
    I'd always assumed my neighbours and I would all have the same water bill as the houses are pretty much identical, but one neighbour was complaining about her bill and its around twice what ours is - neither of us are on water meters 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport