British Gas impossible to deal with.

Options
Dysl???
Dysl??? Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
British Gas have been sending me estimated bills despite my property being unoccupied, I know I have to pay a standing charge. I have informed them repeatedly and they tell me that it has been dealt with when it hasn't. I have repeatedly sent pictures of the meter to them to prove the usage. I phoned yesterday in response to a lawyers letter and was told that the matter was resolved and that they would send me an email confirming both that and a copy of the formal complaint that I requested to submit. None of it was true. 
I've just sent an email to the customer complaints and the response was to go on the chat. I've tried that before and it takes hours and I still got cut off. Surely they have a commitment to deal with their customers in a better manner.

I'm really desperate to sort this out as I can't deal with things like this. Any advice appreciated. 

Comments

• BellaBlondykeTheThird
    Options
    BG are truly awful if you read the forum.

I can only say follow the complaints process through, do not let them close the complaint and if after 8 weeks of the initial complaint they have not rectified your issue or issues you a deadlock letter take your complaint to the ombudsman service.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 March at 1:28PM
    Options
    Initiate a switch and pay the final bill based on actual readings.

You may want to look at Utilita who have a no standing charge tariff, yes they charge more for the first two units a day but if you are using less than this, its likely to save you money whilst the property is unoccupied.
  • BellaBlondykeTheThird
    BellaBlondykeTheThird Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 March at 4:16PM
    Options
    Of course remembering BG will probably block a switch if they have taken it is far as lawyers letters. But worth a go
  • NorfolkCanary
    NorfolkCanary Posts: 185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dysl??? said:
    British Gas have been sending me estimated bills despite my property being unoccupied, I know I have to pay a standing charge. I have informed them repeatedly and they tell me that it has been dealt with when it hasn't. I have repeatedly sent pictures of the meter to them to prove the usage. I phoned yesterday in response to a lawyers letter and was told that the matter was resolved and that they would send me an email confirming both that and a copy of the formal complaint that I requested to submit. None of it was true. 
    I've just sent an email to the customer complaints and the response was to go on the chat. I've tried that before and it takes hours and I still got cut off. Surely they have a commitment to deal with their customers in a better manner.

I'm really desperate to sort this out as I can't deal with things like this. Any advice appreciated. 
    Maybe just me, but find BG are fairly straightforward to deal with, via the online chat. Certain times of the day are clearly busier than others.

Apart from sending them photos of the meters, have you submitted the actual readings, either by phone or online?

I suspect given it's now reached 'lawyer letter' that simply contacting C.S. to resolve this may be a little too difficult. Have you submitted a complaint via the procedure here: How to make a complaint - British Gas
    If via pen & paper, ensure it's headed "Complaint"
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 March at 4:50PM
    Options
    I found with British Gas that once you submit a formal complaint it tends to go to someone quite sensible. Follow the complaints procedure making sure your letter/email is headed 'Formal Complaint'.
  • Dreamscometrue
    Dreamscometrue Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks as though I'll be taking BG to court as they've done nothing at all to resolve my issues and though the ombudsman has found in my favour there's no sign of action so far. If anyone reading has had to take their supplier to court I'd be keen to hear about it.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 10:13AM
    Options
    Have you gone back to the Ombudsman? Even after a decision in my favour, I've found they will still engage and may be willing to nudge BG in the right direction.
  • IW74
    IW74 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if it will help, but I recently ended up in a maddening loop when trying to raise a complaint. Their website told me to do this via Live Chat. I opened a chat with one of their advisers, told him I wanted to raise a complaint....and he sent me a link to Live Chat. After 3 or 4 attempts at trying to convince him that what he was telling me to do was what I was literally doing whilst talking to him, I gave up. I opened a case on the Resolver website, submitted all the details and the bits of evidence I had kept that led to the complaint. Within a few days I had email contact from what I assume was BGs complaints department. It took a few emails back and forth to actually get the resolution I wanted, but within about 10 days of raising it via Resolver it was sorted, and I received the compensation they originally promised me 5 months ago.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback