Options
2»

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March at 12:55PM
    Options
    I'm doing my bit to keep the Royal Mail in business  ;)

My recycling doesn't lie about the floor. 

I cancelled a TV licence for a deceased relative and got a refund pretty quickly without specifically asking for one. 
    Can the OP get one if they have some months left?
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marvel1 said:

I cancelled a TV licence for a deceased relative and got a refund pretty quickly without specifically asking for one. 

It would appear so. 

All the info is on the TVL site

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Marvel1 said:

It would appear so. 

Therefore informing them you are cancelling the TV licence?
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Marvel1 said:
    Marvel1 said:

It would appear so. 

Therefore informing them you are cancelling the TV licence?

If that's what the OP wishes to do then yes.

If it has little time left they may wish to let it run out and cease to have a licence from that point onward.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Millsy_13 said:
    Sorry I know this has probably been asked a million times but do I need a tv licence?...
    I only use my tv for gaming and very occasionally watching a bit of Netflix this is all I have a tv for.
     Its been like this for around 4 years but I've always been too nervous to cancel incase I get people knocking on the door demanding some sort of fine.
    Thanks
    If you only stream on-demand from Netflix and play video games then you don't need a Licence.   

If you have been paying by DD or you have more than one month to run on an Annual Licence then you will be due a refund.   If you haven't needed a Licence for some time then you can ask about a back-dated refund (up to 2 years IIRC).

They do make house visits, but they don't demand fines at the door.   They are seeking to sell Licences and capture evidence for prosecutions.   You can simply tell them to go away, though.

Whether you fill out their "No Licence Needed" form is up to you - there are pros and cons.   The main advantage is that it should stop their dubious letters for up to 2 years.   The main disadvantage is that you agree that they can call at your premises.  Although this is not legally binding, some people might find it harder to tell them to go away if they have already agreed to them calling.
  • ladruid
    ladruid Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia said:
    The main disadvantage is that you agree that they can call at your premises.
    Not really a disadvantage, as they can visit your premises without your permission anyway (if you decide not to fill in the form). I can only speak from my experiences, I fill in the form every couple of years. Three times now, not one letter or visit in 6 years, its probably saved me more time than dumping nagging letters or answering the door to their sales people. :D
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 March at 12:51PM
    Options
    ladruid said:
    Cornucopia said:
    The main disadvantage is that you agree that they can call at your premises.
    Not really a disadvantage, as they can visit your premises without your permission anyway (if you decide not to fill in the form). I can only speak from my experiences, I fill in the form every couple of years. Three times now, not one letter or visit in 6 years, its probably saved me more time than dumping nagging letters or answering the door to their sales people. :D
    It's all part of the ridiculous bureaucratic melodrama that the BBC has created.   You can choose to play or not to play, there are pros and cons.  As long as people understand that, they can make their own informed choice.

I've ignored them for longer than 6 years and I haven't had a visit, either.   I have returned the letters unopened over recent years, and that's quite satisfying.
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    I had a visit a few yesrs ago.  Chap asked if I had a TV I said no, he asked if he could come in and check, I said no.

Away he went.

Since then I have been getting letters.

The one I got today was a white envelope (been through all the colours) asking if I would be in on the 5th April.

Recycled.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback