Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my friends I get tax relief from our combined charity donations?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 19 March at 4:28PM in Charities
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Seven friends and I give to a different charity each week, donating up to £5 each. As my employer matches any charity donations employees make, I volunteered to collect the money and donate it to our chosen charity each week. However, by doing this through my pay I get tax relief, which is often more than my individual contribution. Should I explain this to my friends and donate more to charity? Or leave it be, as the charities wouldn't be getting double the donation without my (and my employer's) input?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
:o View past Money Moral Dilemmas.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s only tax relief you get, it won’t be a lot.  I’d tell them and buy an extra round at the pub for them or something. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hang on, so you collect, let's say £5 from 4 friends, and then tell your employer that you are giving £25, which they match fund, and you also get the tax relief? 

I know that if you were Gift Aiding other people's money, it would be against 'the rules', so this strikes me as dodgy. I know your employer may not find out, but I can't help feeling that if they DID find out, they would care. 

So no, I wouldn't tell your friends ... 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • WorcesterParkWoman
    Options
    This:

"I know that if you were Gift Aiding other people's money, it would be against 'the rules', so this strikes me as dodgy. I know your employer may not find out, but I can't help feeling that if they DID find out, they would care."

• keithyno.1
    keithyno.1 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As pointed out by daivid above, you are essentially defrauding your employer. You’ve said it yourself, your employer matches any charity donations EMPLOYEES make - not employees and a bunch of their mates!

You might be doing this with good intention as the money is going to charities but fraud is still fraud. This is your big chance to put a stop to it.
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    at the very least you should contribute the same as your friends in real terms. 
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • bikaga
    bikaga Posts: 157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your employer match it as fundraising or as your individual donation? If it's the latter, then I'm with what others have said regarding you potentially defrauding your employer - do check out the rules carefully and consider if you want to continue with this.

If it's as fundraising, then I would calculate what you save over the year and maybe put it aside to do something nice for your friends, or, even better, donate it to charity, and that time it'll actually be entirely from you, and you won't have to feel slightly guilty towards your friends or your employer ;)
  • agadsby
    agadsby Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect HMRC might want a chat with you as this appears to violate the “who is the Donor?” rule and also appears to be income to you from your friends. 
  • Kerri23gan
    Kerri23gan Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It just feels wrong, yes you should tell them and find a way to do it properly. I am no expert but it doesn't feel right 
  • Djandylion
    Options
    It seems you are being more than  a little dishonest with both your employer and your friends. Maybe you should pass on the responsibility of collecting the money. You must feel guilty to ask the question
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback